Juneteenth, now in its third year as a federal holiday, commemorates the end of slavery in the US. There are several events taking place across the state to celebrate the day, either on June 17 or on various dates throughout the month. Read on to plan ahead for these events.
1. Juneteenth: From Freedom to Liberation | Mobile | June 15 + June 19
The City of Mobile is hosting a series of events, including a speaker and panel on Thursday, June 15 and a celebratory performance on Monday, June 19.
- When: Thu, Jun 15, 6-8PM + Monday, June 19, 6 – 8 PM
- Where: Speaker + Panel at Ben May Main Library – Mobile Public Library, 701 Government St, Mobile, AL 36602 | Celebration at Hope Community Center, 850 Edwards St, Mobile, AL 36610
2. City of Montgomery Juneteenth Event | Montgomery | June 17
Enjoy an evening full of family-friendly entertainment, food trucks, vendors, a kids zone, educational presentations and cultural art exhibits. Plus, there will be music entertainment by 2nd Coming.
- When: Sat, June 17, 2-6PM
- Where: Riverfront Amphitheater, 355 Commerce St, Montgomery, AL 36104
3. Montgomery Museum of Fine Arts Juneteenth | Montgomery | June 17
The Montgomery Museum of Fine Arts is hosting a day full of art-making, celebration and meaningful exhibits. There’ll be a Second Line-style processional parade (participation encouraged!), art-making activities, live music and even free snacks and strawberry lemonade on a first come, first serve basis.
- When: Sat, Jun 17, 9 –11AM
- Where: Montgomery Museum of Fine Arts, 1 Museum Dr, Montgomery, AL 36117
4. Juneteenth at The Camp | Huntsville | June 17
Mark your calendars for a free family friendly Juneteenth celebration at The Camp. It’ll be pet friendly with no cover charge, more details to come soon.
- When: Sat, Jun 17, 12 – 5PM
- Where: MidCity District, 5901 University Dr, Huntsville, AL 35806
5. Cultural Fest | Birmingham | June 17
The Crescent Cultural Community Center is hosting a street market with art, food and plenty of fun. There’ll also be a concert and lively after party following the market.
- When: Sat, Jun 17 | Day Party/Street Market, 12-5PM; After Party/Concert, 6-10PM
- Where: Crescent Cultural Community Center, 1121 Tuscaloosa Ave, Birmingham, AL 35211
6. Juneteenth, Freedom Day | Montgomery | June 17
Join Troy University’s Rosa Parks Museum in their 8th annual Juneteenth celebration. The free event includes local food, merchandise and informational vendors, live music, kids’ area and complimentary tours of the Rosa Parks Museum and Children’s Wing.
- When: Sat, Jun 17, 11AM-5PM
- Where: Rosa Parks Museum, 252 Montgomery St, Montgomery, AL 36104
7. Juneteenth at Orion Amphitheater | Huntsville | June 17
Support local Black-owned businesses, farmers and food trucks, listen and learn the rich history of Juneteenth from Huntsville Revisited Orators, enjoy live performances in the dome and much more at The Orion Amphitheater. The Artist Meadow Kids Zone will be full of bounce houses, bubbles, yard games and more.
- When: Sat, Jun 17, 7 – 11 PM
- Where: Orion Amphitheater, 701 Amphitheater Dr NW, Huntsville, AL 35806
8. The 2nd Annual Juneteenth Festival | Gardendale | June 17
Commemorate history with live artists, food trucks and more at the 2nd Annual Balancing & Overcoming Life Adversities Juneteenth Festival.
- When: Sat, Jun 17, 11 AM – 5 PM
- Where: Gardendale Civic Center, 857 Main St, Gardendale, AL 35071
9. Friday Night Live Juneteenth Celebration | Irondale | June 17
Eat amazing soul food, listen to local singer Abraham The Voice and celebrate Juneteenth at Friday Night Live at Ruth’s Place.
- When: Sat, Jun 17, Doors open at 7PM, Show starts at 7:30PM
- Where: 2404 Derby Way, Irondale, AL 35210
10. Autauga County Juneteenth Celebration | Prattville | June 17
Celebrate Juneteenth in Autauga County at this day‑long celebration featuring powerful contributions, a parade, live music, storytelling, activities for kids & family, vendors, food and a Chain Breaking Ceremony.
- When: Sat, Jun 17, 7AM Parade Line-up, 9AM-10AM Parade, 11AM Celebration
- Where: North Highland Memorial Comm Center, 779 Martin Luther King Dr, Prattville, AL 36067
11. Greater Valley Juneteenth Festival | Lanett | June 17
A festival full of fun, commemoration, local vendors, food, activities and more.
12. Black Wall Street Alabama Juneteenth | Tuscumbia | June 17
Black Wall Street Alabama is hosting a Juneteenth event with activities, performances, good food and vendors at The Willie Green Recreational Center.
13. Juneteenth Freedom Celebration | Birmingham | June 18
This family friendly celebration will be one for the books with live entertainment, including American Idol finalist Dominique Posey, a firework display, activities, delicious food, vendors, educational opportunities and more.
14. Juneteenth in The Magic City Celebration | Birmingham | June 18
Grab the whole crew for a magical Juneteenth celebration with culture, food trucks, music, live entertainment and a fireworks show. The celebrity featured artist is RO James.
15. 2nd Annual Juneteenth Celebration of Freedom | Selma | June 19
Head to the future home of Foot Soldiers Park to celebrate Juneteenth with food, entertainment and a special kids zone.
- When: Monday, June 19, 3-6PM
- Where: Future home of Foot Soldiers Park, 1705 Selma Ave, Selma, AL 36703
How are you celebrating Juneteenth in Alabama? Tag us @thebamabuzz and let us know!