Looking for a place to recycle your Christmas Tree in Alabama? We found 20 drop-off sites , plus a website with a directory of Christmas Tree recycling programs.
Read on to make plans.
Reuse Your Christmas Tree – If Possible
Before we provide you a list of places to recycle your live Christmas tree in Alabama, think about reusing it.
The Arbor Day Foundation has produced a list of 8 ways you can sustainably recycle your tree at home.
Below are some of their best ideas:
- Make firewood
- Create your own mulch
- Insulate your garden
- Create fresheners from the needles
Christmas Tree Recycling Sites in Alabama
Huntsville and Madison County
Huntsville and Madison County will hold its annual Operation Christmas Cleanup on Saturday, January 7, 8AM- 1PM at two locations:
Be prepared to recycle your Christmas tree along with batteries, cardboard boxes and electronics
The City of Tuscaloosa will host its annual live Christmas tree/greenery recycling drop-off event between Dec. 26 and Jan. 6.
Live trees, wreaths and garlands may be dropped off to be recycled at the Curry Environmental Services facility (3440 Reese Phifer Ave. Tuscaloosa) Greenery may be dropped off at any time, and must be completely free of decorations and lights. A separate bin will be available for recycling Christmas string lights.
Starting December 26 to January 10, you can drop off your Christmas tree at the Birmingham Zoo during regular business hours. Make your way to their designated tree drop area by the construction entrance on Cahaba Road.
- Where: Birmingham Zoo – 2630 Cahaba Rd, Birmingham, AL 35223
- Call: Mountain Brook Public Works 205-802-3867, if you have questions.
Starting after Christmas on Dec. 27, 2022, through Jan. 6, 2023 you can drop off your Christmas trees at these locations in Shelby County.
- Chelsea City Hall on CR-47 in Chelsea (Because of construction at City Hall, you can drop off your trees across from the community center in the gravel lot between the ball parks and Liberty Baptist.)
- Heardmont Park on Highway 119
- Ray Building on AL-70 in Columbiana
- Propst Promenade Alabaster located at the end of AmStar Theatre parking lot
- Pelham City Park on US-31 in Pelham
Three organizations – Alabama Power, the Lake Martin Resource Association, and the Lake Martin Tourism Association are teaming up to help create new fish habitats in Lake Martin. Undecorated Christmas trees (not artificial) can be dropped off at any of the three listed locations between Dec. 26th and Jan. 8th.
- Lake Martin Machine Gun in Eclectic, located at 2520 Red Hill Rd.
- Wind Creek State Park, located at 4325 AL-128 in Alexander City
- New Water Farms, located in Dadeville at 460 Civitan Rd.
According to an Alabama Power spokesperson 60,000 trees have been collected and placed in Alabama Power reservoirs since 1993 for in Alabama Power reservoirs
Mobile residents can start dropping off their unwanted Christmas trees for free from Monday, Dec. 26, 2022, through Sunday, Jan. 15, 2023, between 7:00AM. to 5:00PM at:
All trees must be free of lights, stands and decorations before being dropped off.
The city will take these trees and turn them into mulch that will be available free of charge from Jan. 17 to Jan. 22.
In Baldwin County, the Christmas Tree Recycling Program begins on Dec. 26 and continues until Jan. 16. There are nine locations:
- Bay Minette Transfer Station at 4291 Nicholasville Road in Bay Minette.
- Spanish Fort Volunteer Fire Department at 7580 Spanish Fort Blvd in Spanish Fort
- MacBride Landfill at 14200 County Road 64 in Loxley.
- Baldwin County Central Annex at 22251 Palmer St. in Robertsdale
- Fairhope Satellite Courthouse at 1100 Fairhope Ave. in Fairhope.
- Magnolia Landfill at 15140 County Road 49 in Summerdale.
Other Christmas Tree Drop-offs and Programs
Is your community not on the list above? We recommend you call your local County Commission or municipal government about Christmas Tree recycling in your community.
Also , visit — the Pick Your Own Christmas Tree website for a directory of Christmas Tree recycling locations. They have details about Christmas Tree recycling in Dothan, Cullman, Helena, Prattville, Wetumpka and many more.