The University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) Hospital is no stranger to The Magic City. We’ve seen time and time again how they’ve solved medical mysteries, broken healthcare barriers and deeply cared for patients in our city. Now, the hospital is serving more patients than ever—it was just named the 8th largest hospital in the nation. We’ve got the scoop for you.
Among the largest hospitals in the nation
UAB Hospital has made major strides this year with growth. It moved up three spots from 2020, breaking into the top 10 largest hospitals in the USA.
“As UAB Hospital continues to make record-breaking strides in all pillars of our mission, we are proud to be ranked for the first time among the nation’s top 10 largest and most prestigious hospitals in America. This ranking speaks to the growth and stature of the hospital and the world-class, compassionate care — by our talented physicians, nurses and staff—who deliver cutting-edge treatments and technologies, healing, and hope to patients throughout Alabama and beyond.”—Ray Watts, President, UAB
We love seeing this Birmingham hospital movin’ on up the national ranks.
A growing number of accolades
Not only is UAB hospital growing in numbers, but it received an impressive lineup of accolades and achievements this year.
First, it was named the best hospital in Alabama by U.S. News and World Report. In addition, the hospital has eight adult specialties ranked among the best in the nation, seven within the top 30 and one ranked 31st.
More impressive accolades this year include:
- Ranked 11th among academic medical centers on the Vizient Quality and Accountability Scorecard
- Won seven prestigious Women’s Choice Awards
- Awarded an LGBTQ Healthcare Equality Leader designation from the Human Rights Campaign Foundation
- Given a Magnet Nursing Designation for the fifth stright time
What makes UAB Hospital stand out
It takes a village to achieve these accomplishments. Each part of the UAB Health System is integral to the hospital’s continued growth and success.
These departments, institutes and centers are some of UAB’s standouts that we couldn’t help but mention:
- The Comprehensive Transplant Institute: the state’s leading organ transplant program
- The O’Neal Comprehensive Cancer Center: a cutting-edge cancer treatment center
- An Adult Level 1 Trauma Center: the state’s one-and-only of its kind
- Level 1 Geriatric Emergency Department: the first accredited ED of its kind in the Southeast
- Level 4 Regional Neonatal Intensive Care Unit: awarded Guiness World Record for the youngest premature infant to survive worldwide
Way to go UAB! We can’t wait to see the records you’ll break next.
Want to get more buzzy updates like this delivered straight to your inbox daily? Sign up for The Bama Buzz newsletter today.