The iconic neon-crimson lights on the corner of University Boulevard and Greensboro Avenue in Tuscaloosa are hard to miss. Home to the historic Brown’s Corner (a department store) and the modern-day Half-Shell Oyster House, the spot is getting a new cocktail lounge on the third floor. Here’s all you need to know about the new Brown’s Corner.
Brown’s Corner will be a revitalized community spot
Brown’s Dollar store opened on University Boulevard in 1906. Twenty years later, Abe Brown built the building that stands today at the site. While it was officially named Brown’s Department Store, locals simply called it, “Brown’s Corner.” It closed in 1978, but you can still see the neon “BC” sign on the corner of Greensboro Avenue and University Boulevard.
Now, the name “Brown’s Corner” is taking on a new meaning.
On the third floor of the building, Brown’s Corner Tuscaloosa will be a classy cocktail lounge inspired by the speakeasy atmosphere.
There will be excellent food + drinks
With Half Shell Oyster House on the first floor and Brown’s Corner on the third floor, this building will house lots of flavor and fun. Here are some of the items we can’t wait to try on their food + drink menus:
- Bleu Cheese House Chips: “House made chips topped with creamy bleu cheese, chives, and a balsamic glaze.”
- Tuna Poke Nachos: “Yellowfin Sashimi with an Asian flair over a bed of carrots and cucumber. Served atop crispy wontons and drizzled with cilantro lime crema and sushi sauce.”
- Lamb Lollipops: “Marinated and Char-grilled New Zealand lamb chops served with Greek pesto and goat cheese sour cream.”
Drinks (do you see a theme?)
- Crimson Old Fashioned: “Bourbon, Bitterman’s Cherry Bark Vanilla bitters, maple syrup, orange peel, luxardo”
- Yellowhammer: “Vodka, Rum, Amaretto, orange, pineapple, luxardo”
- Saturday at the Quad: “Vodka, Cucumber, basil, lime”
When + where you can find it
We know you can’t wait to visit the new Brown’s Corner. Here’s all the details on their opening.
- Location: 2325 University Blvd, Tuscaloosa, AL 35401 (third floor)
- Grand Opening Date: Thursday, August 17
- Website | Facebook | Instagram
Want updates like this delivered straight to your inbox? Sign up for our newsletter today.