Slip on those walking shoes! Saturdays in April, community leaders from 25 towns and cities across Alabama are offering FREE guided walking tours through some of the state’s coolest historic neighborhoods. Read on for more details.
Participating cities and starting locations
From Florence to Enterprise and Fairhope to Bridgeport, there will be a total of 125 walking tours taking place during the month of April. Each tour begins each Saturday of the month at 10AM (unless otherwise listed), lasts one hour and is free of charge.
According to Sweet Home Alabama, our state is the only one in the nation to hold statewide, simultaneous walking tours. More than 38,000 individuals have participated in the walking tours since the beginning of the program 19 years ago. That’s more steps than any Fitbit has ever seen!
Here’s the full list of participating cities and starting locations:
- Athens: Athens Limestone Visitor Center, 100 N Beaty St, Athens, AL 35611.
- Bayou La Batre: Maritime Park, 13765 South Wintzell Ave.
- Birmingham: Fred Shuttlesworth statue at Birmingham Civil Rights Institute, 520 16th St N, Birmingham, AL 35203. Get in the spirit—check out this Birmingham Walking Tour last April with Vulcan Park & Museum.
- Bridgeport: Bridgeport Walking Bridge, 1 Bradley Ave, Bridgeport, AL 35740
- Courtland: Courtland Heritage Museum, 252 College St, Courtland, AL 35618
- Cullman: Cullman County Museum, 211 2nd Ave NE, Cullman, AL 35055
- Decatur: Various Locations.
- April 2 – Morgan County Archives, 624 Bank St NE, Decatur, AL 35601
- April 9 – Turner-Surles Community Center, 702 Sycamore St NW, Decatur, AL 35601
- April 16 – Decatur City Cemetery Chapel, 1001 Wilson St NW, Decatur, AL 35601
- April 23 – Delano Park Rose Garden, 825 Gordon Dr SE, Decatur, AL 35601
- April 30 – Old State Bank, 925 Bank St NE, Decatur, AL 35601
- Elba: Elba Chamber of Commerce, 127 Factory Ave, Elba, AL 36323
- Enterprise: Pea River Historical Society, 108 S Main St, Enterprise, AL 36330
- Fairhope: Fairhope Welcome Center, 20 N Section St, Fairhope, AL 36532
- Florence: Various Locations
- April 2 – Florence City Cemetery, 705 E College St, Florence, AL 35630
- April 9 – UNA Tennis Courts, 447 Hermitage Dr, Florence, AL 35630
- April 16 – The Forks of Cypress, Jackson Rd, Florence, AL 35633
- April 23 – North Court & Seminary Streets, Florence, AL
- April 30 – UNA Campus, 1 Harrison Plaza, Florence, AL 35632
- Foley: Foley Welcome Center, 104 N McKenzie St, Foley, AL 36535
- Huntsville: Alabama Constitution Hall Park, 109 Gates Ave SE, Huntsville, AL 35801 (April 2 & 9 ONLY)
- Madison: Madison Little Roundhouse, 398 Monroe St NW, Huntsville, AL 35801 (April 16 & 23 ONLY)
- Mobile: Visit Mobile Welcome Center, 111 S Royal St, Mobile, AL 36602
- Monroeville: Monroe County Museum, 31 N Alabama Ave, Monroeville, AL 36460(Southeast Entrance)
- Montgomery: Montgomery Visitor Center, 1 Court Square, Montgomery, AL 36104
- Mooresville: Mooresville Historic Post Office, 24995 Lauderdale St, Mooresville, AL 35649
- Moulton: Lawrence County Archives, 698 Main St, Moulton, AL 35650
- Pell City: Pell City City Hall, 1905 1st Ave N, Pell City, AL 35125 (April 2, 9, 23 & 30 ONLY)
- Prattville: Prattaugan Museum, 102 E Main St, Prattville, AL 36067
- Selma: Selma-Dallas County Public Library, 1103 Selma Ave, Selma, AL 36703
- Sheffield: Sheffield City Hall, 600 N Montgomery Ave, Sheffield, AL 35660
- Springville: Springville Museum, 6496 US-11, Springville, AL 35146
- Tuscumbia: Palace Ice Cream & Sandwich, 100 S Main St, Tuscumbia, AL 35674