Looking for a nice holiday excursion in Alabama? Take a look at the city of Gadsden.
This week, the community announced it will host “Christmas on the Coosa,” a 21-day ice skating winter experience beginning Saturday, Dec. 2nd.
Ice rink in downtown Gadsden
Featuring a 3,000 square foot outdoor ice-skating rink, up to 85 skaters over the age of 3 can imagine they are skating in front of Rockefeller Center.
According to a city news release the synthetic rink allows skaters to experience the look and feel of ice skating in warmer climates. Admission is $12, which includes specially designed skates. Skate helpers will be available for an additional charge.
The rink will be located in downtown Gadsden at 344 1st Street across from the Spirit of American Citizenship Monument near Moragne Park.
“Hallmark movie-like in Gadsden”
“It’s beginning to feel like a Hallmark movie is coming to Gadsden. We are inviting everyone to come experience ice skating over the Coosa River, and while you’re here, you may want to visit Christmas at the Falls or take a carriage ride through downtown. This season, we want residents and visitors to make lifelong memories in Gadsden!”~ Gadsden Mayor Craig Ford
Along with the ice skating venue, additional holiday experiences downtown and nearby include:
- Food and beverage trucks, crafters, and other vendors on site daily
- Polar Bear Club, featuring life-sized polar bear statues and other Instagram-worthy props
- Visits from guests like Santa Claus, the Grinch, and Cindy Lou Who
- Gadsden’s Noccalula Falls Park and Campground—Christmas at the Falls experience sporting over one million Christmas lights
- Historic Gadsden Carriage Tours, a local business offering horse-drawn carriage rides through Gadsden’s historic downtown
Tickets & times
Interested in reserving a spot at the ice rink? Purchase tickets for family and friends in advance on the city of Gadsden, Alabama website on Nov. 1, 2023.
The rink will be open:
- Monday through Friday, 5:00PM. until 10:00PM
- Saturday – 5:00PM until 11:00PM
- Sunday – 1:00PM until 10:00PM
The last day the Christmas on the Coosa ice rink will be open is December 23rd.
Have you ever visited Gadsden during the holidays? Share with us on social media your special memories by tagging us at @thebamabuzz