Memorial Day weekend is just around the corner. With memorial services, family activities, and outdoor fun– keep reading for the rundown on everything going on around the state this holiday weekend.
Alabama National Cemetery
- A memorial service will be held at the Alabama National Cemetery to honor the fallen heroes of Alabama. The service will include guest speakers from across the state, wreath laying, and rifle and canon salutes.
- When: Monday, May 29 at 9AM
- Where: 45M7+8H, 3133 Hwy 119, Montevallo, AL 35115
- For anyone looking for a free activity for the whole family, American Village is full of Memorial Day services and things to explore this year. Tour the 188-acre American Village campus and visit replicas of Mount Vernon, the President’s Oval Office, Concord Bridge, and the West Wing of Independence Hall. They will have re-enactors and family activities 10AM-4PM. There will also be a memorial service to honor fallen Americans in the Colonial Chapel at 11AM.
- When: Monday, May 29 10AM-4PM
- Where: 3727 Highway 119 S, Montevallo, AL 35115
Alabama Poppy Project
- The Alabama Poppy Project in Prattville is a commemoration in honor of those who lost their lives in combat. The project honors the fallen represented by a handmade ceramic poppy placed on a stake in a field near Heritage Park in Prattville. Julianne and Steven Hansen began the project in 2020, working alongside volunteers to roll, cut, shape, glaze, kiln fire and “plant” over 1,000 ceramic poppies in just a few months. The flowers will be displayed for one week beginning on Friday, May 26 until May 31, 2023 with white ribbons indicating the names of the fallen dedicated by loved ones. Learn more about the project and how to get involved here.
- When: Friday, May 26 (Ribbon placement is 4-7PM, followed by a ceremony at 7:15PM)
- Where: Heritage Park Prattville, AL 36067
Alabama Fallen Warriors Monument
- The Alabama Fallen Warriors Monument has finally been completed in Trussville, Alabama. The monument honors the 226 brave Alabamians who lost their lives defending our nation while serving in the War on Terror.
- When: Monday, May 29 at 2PM
- Where: 55 Parkway Dr, Trussville, AL 35173
Alabama Veterans Memorial Park
- Located just off the Liberty Park exit on Interstate 459, this park serves as a memorial for thousands of Alabamians who lost their lives in the armed forces. The park features the Hall of Honor, which displays the names of 11,000 lives lost in combat since 1900, as well as the Memorial Plaza, with 36 columns which display engraved letters by Alabama families who lost loved ones to war.
- Learn more about the park: In pictures: A solemn visit to the Alabama Veterans Memorial Park
- Where: Exit 23, 100 Overton Access Rd I-459, Birmingham, AL 35243
- This year, the 12th annual Salsa Showdown falls on Memorial Weekend. Judge a variety of salsas, quesos and guacamoles from local restaurants including Rojo, The Current, La Paz and more. Feeling daring? There will also be a Hot Pepper Eating Contest at 5PM. Tickets are $20 in advance here, kids 5 and under enter free. Proceeds from ticket sales will benefit the Educational and Outreach programs for the Sidewalk Film Center + Cinema.
- When: 2-6PM
- Where: 4500 5th Ave S Building C, Birmingham, AL 35222
Memorial Day Ceremony at Huntsville Veterans Park
- There will be a Memorial Day ceremony at Huntsville’s Veterans Park commemorating the legacies of the fallen Americans lost in combat. The service will feature a performance from the Huntsville Concert Band followed by a ceremony at 11AM. Attendees are encouraged to bring lawn chairs and arrive by 10:30AM.
- When: Monday, May 29 10:30AM – 11:30AM
- Where: 200 Monroe St NW, Huntsville, AL 35801
Cottondale Memorial Day event
- If you live near Tuscaloosa, make sure to check out this Memorial Day event in Cottondale. Hosted by the Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 6022, it will be a service followed by a family day event including fireworks, swimming, water balloons and sidewalk chalk. Make sure you come hungry, because there will also be a shrimp boil fundraiser featuring shrimp, sausage, potatoes and corn. Other food will include watermelon, cookies, hot dogs and more.
- When: Monday, May 29 at noon
- Where: 7001 University Blvd E, Cottondale, AL 35453
Tuscaloosa County Parks and Recreation Memorial Day Program
- The Tuscaloosa County Park and Recreation Authority’s Veterans Memorial Park Association is teaming up with the Tuscaloosa VA Medical Center and the University of Alabama Office of Veteran and Military Affairs for a Memorial Day Program. The program will feature speakers like Tuscaloosa County District Attorney Hays Webb, who served in the U.S. Marine Corps in the 1980s. It will also feature Hillcrest High School AJROTC’s presenting of the colors, the Tuscaloosa Firefighters Local 403 Emerald Society Pipes and Drums and more.
- When: Monday, May 29 at 9AM
- Where: McFarland Blvd E, Tuscaloosa, AL 35403
Hero Celebration Memorial Day Bash
- Honor the legacies of fallen soldiers in Mobile with the Hero Celebration Memorial Day Bash. Come out for food on the grill, music and fellowship. This event is free, so bring the whole family for a day of remembrance and celebration.
- When: Monday, May 29 12-3PM
- Where: 3260 Pleasant Valley Rd, Mobile, AL 36606
Memorial Day Concert in Fairhope
- This year, come out to the Henry George Bluff Park in Fairhope overlooking Mobile Bay for a day of remembrance and music. The day will be full of patriotic tunes and fan favorites performing in the park, so bring your blanket and picnic chair and enjoy the music.
- When: Monday, May 29 5-6:30PM
- Where: Co Rd 98, Fairhope, AL 36532
Alabama Jubilee Hot Air Balloon Classic
- The Alabama Jubilee Hot-Air Balloon Classic has been a Memorial Day weekend tradition for many for nearly 50 years. It will take place at Point Mallard Park where more than 55 colorful hot-air balloons will be released into the sky. It will feature hot air balloons, live music, antique cars and tractors, motorcycles, arts and crafts, fireworks and other family fun. Bands perform on stage both days at 7 p.m. and the two-day event concludes with the Alabama Jubilee Fireworks Spectacular at 9:30 p.m. Bring a blanket and lawn chair and enjoy the sights with the whole family.
- Learn more about the event: https://www.alabamajubilee.net
- When: Saturday, May 27 and Sunday, May 28
- Where: 2901 Point Mallard Cir SE, Decatur, AL 35601
Cemeteries and places of remembrance
For a list of National cemeteries across the state, visit the Alabama Department of Veteran Affairs website: https://va.alabama.gov/veterans-memorial-cemetery/
Get more stories like this delivered straight to your inbox—Sign up for our FREE newsletter.
You must be logged in to post a comment.