Hyundai Motor Manufacturing Alabama is celebrating a production milestone with the five millionth vehicle built at the Montgomery assembly plant. Which vehicle is lucky number five million? Read on to find out the answer.
Say hello to the 2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz Sport Adventure
Yep, the 2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz was the five millionth vehicle built at Hyundai Motor Manufacturing Alabama (HMMA). Built on July 27, 2021, the vehicle was unveiled auto-show style at HMMA’s training center.
“Hyundai Motor Manufacturing Alabama is an integral member of not only the River Region, but the entire state of Alabama. I’m thrilled to celebrate the 5 millionth vehicle rolling off the line in our great state.
Alabama has become a major player in the automotive industry, and today’s milestone proves we will maintain our status as an industry leader. Congratulations to the HMMA family on an incredible achievement.”Governor Kay Ivey
Wondering what kind of economic impact HMMA has on the state? According to Made in Alabama, the economic impact is almost $5B per year.
Other impacts include:
- $3,000+ employees and an annual payroll of around $260M.
- Supports 14,436 direct and indirect jobs in Alabama.
- Approximately $6.3B spent per year to support its manufacturing operation and maintain its facility and investment.
“Over the last two decades, HMMA has become an essential part of our community, and I applaud their continued commitment to growing our local economy and creating jobs for hard-working Alabamians. I wish them success on this momentous occasion and for years to come.”Terri Sewell, Congresswoman, Alabama
What makes the Santa Cruz Sport Adventure stand out?
For starters, the Santa Cruz marks many firsts for HMMA. Check this out:
- It’s the first open bed Hyundai vehicle built for the North American market.
- It’s the first time a Hyundai vehicle has been launched at a US facility before being assembled in South Korea.
- It’s the first time HHMA has produced five vehicles on the same assembly line.
Now, going back to my days as a full-time car blogger, I did some research to find out a bit more. Here are some things to know:
- It’s available in four trim levels with various features like wireless device charging and pairing for Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.
- Users can start, lock/unlock doors and more remotely via Internet, myriad apps and Amazon Alexa.
- Passenger space in front and back are competitive to similarly-sized trucks.
- Pickup is punchy with a choice of two powertrains. Top choice: the turbocharged 2.5-liter four with 281 horsepower and 311 pound-feet of torque.
More Hyundai vehicles to note
Production at HMMA began in 2005 and is Hyundai’s sole US factory. In 16 years, the factory has produced a huge number of vehicles—many of which you have possibly even owned yourself.
Here’s how many vehicles have been produced:
- Sonatas – 2,562,880
- Elantras – 1,489,568
- Santa Fes – 908,779
- Tuscons – 36,989
- Santa Cruzes – 1,784
Congrats to Hyundai Motor Manufacturing Alabama! We’re looking forward to seeing the five millionth and one.
For more news in Alabama, check out @thebamabuzz and get updates straight to your inbox by sighing up for our FREE newsletter.