Tomato tomahto…however you like to say it, there’s no question that it’s a staple in delicious Alabama dishes. Sweet Grown Alabama is hosting a head-to-head contest to find Bama’s Best Tomato Dish. From tomato pie to fried green tomatoes, read on to get a taste of the nominees and cast a vote for your favorite.
The Edible Eight 🍅
Sweet Grown Alabama, a nonprofit connecting local farmers to retailers, has teamed up with Alabama Farmer’s Federation and Simply Southern TV on the hunt to find a tomato dish that’s better than the rest. The audience has voted and narrowed the competition down to eight semi-finalists. Meet the nominees:
- Walters’ Gas & Grill in Society Hill | Tomato Pie
- The Downtown Chief in Gadsden | Fried Green Tomato with Pimento Cheese and Pepper Jelly
- Wildflower Cafe in Mentone | Tomato Pie
- Claunch Cafe in Tuscumbia | Tomato Pie
- Walton’s Southern Table in Huntsville | Fried Green Tomatoes
- Avenue Pub—Tuscaloosa | Conecuh + Pimento Green Tomatoes
- FDL—Gourmet To Go in Montgomery | Heirloom Tomato Pie
- Gather in Atmore | Train Wreck
Recognize your fave local spot? Well, get to voting!
How it works
From Monday, May 23-Thursday, May 26, daily head-to-head matchups will take place on the Sweet Grown Alabama Facebook page.
Voting opens at 8AM and closes at 8PM each day. Casting a vote is simple, just click on the picture that corresponds with your favorite dish and add a reaction (like, love, wow, etc.) Whichever reaction you pick will count as one vote towards your favorite spot.
The winner of each daily head-to-head matchup will move on to the next round—the Flavorful Four.
In June, a panel of judges will head to the location of each of the Flavorful Four finalists to taste-test the fan-favorite dishes. What’s up for grabs? The big winner will receive a plaque, cash prize and features in Neighbors magazine and Simply Southern TV. Oh, and the ultimate bragging rights, too.
Help uplift local businesses by casting your vote today.
For more buzzy news like this delivered straight to your inbox, sign up for our free newsletter.