On September 11, 2023, the City of Gulf Shores unveiled the master plan for the new Coastal Gateway Park—and it’s an ambitious one. Keep reading for all the details.
Gulf Shores’ Coastal Gateway Park master plan
The new Coastal Gateway Park has been a long time coming. To catch you up, here’s a quick snapshot of the events so far:
- 2016: 40 acres was donated to the City of Gulf Shores along the current Coastal Gateway Boulevard.
- June 2021: Gulf Shores Residents participated in “Let’s Build a Park” to help create the plan for Coastal Gateway Park.
- December 2021: The City purchased approximately 80 additional acres, creating an approximately 127-acre plot for use.
- Fall 2022: The City started developing the master plan for the site.
Now, in September 2023, the City of Gulf Shores has unveiled the plan for Coastal Gateway Park. On Monday, September 18, further planning will take place as they convene to decide the phasing of the development—because there’s a lot to plan out.
What’s included in the Coastal Gateway Park master plan
The Coastal Gateway Park is an ambitious one, but it’s a vital step in keeping up with North Gulf Shores’ growth.
“Our community has seen substantial growth north of the Intracoastal Waterway over the last ten years, and our City Council recognizes how important it is that we provide accessible city services and amenities to all residents.”Grant Brown, Director, Recreation and Cultural Affairs, City of Gulf Shores (City of Gulf Shores)
Here’s what the master plan includes:
- Coastal Gateway Community Park
- Future elementary school site
- New fire station + police presence
- North/south connector road
- Utility enhancements
According to OBA News, the recreation area will include a pool, splash pad, recreation center, lake with kayak launch, pickle ball, basketball and sand volleyball courts, skate park, pavilion and more.
Needless to say, these 127 acres going to be put to very good use. Make sure to follow along with us for more updates and the timeline for construction and completion.
Want updates like this delivered straight to your inbox? Sign up for our newsletter today.