The World Games 2022 (TWG 2022) Opening Ceremony is only 13 days away, but some people have already begun athletic feats. Veterans and supporters have trekked on a 3,100-mile journey across the country with the American flag for TWG 2022 ceremonies, and on Sunday, June 26, the flag will make its Alabama debut in Mobile.
A journey across America
The American flag making its way across the country to TWG 2022 began its trek in Washington DC on May 25 and flew over the US Capitol before being handed to veterans who are relaying the flag across 15 states.
On its way to Birmingham, several cities and towns in Alabama will have the chance to see the flag as veterans and supporters run, walk and bike the flag across the state.
“The eyes of the world will be on Alabama during The World Games 2022, and we are proud to partner with Airbus and Team Red, White & Blue for the Old Glory Relay. After traveling across the American heartland and the great state of Alabama, it will be an electrifying moment to watch former U.S. Army Sergeant Noah Galloway carry the flag into the Opening Ceremony before a live global audience.”Nick Sellers, CEO, TWG 2022
Similar to the Olympics, The World Games takes place every four years, and athletes from more than 100 countries will compete in exciting and emerging sports from July 7-17. This year marks the 11th edition of The World Games and the first that will be held in the US since 1981.
Team Red, White & Blue (Team RWB) is a nonprofit organization founded in 2010 that supports veterans through their health and wellness journeys by offering real-life and virtual opportunities to build a healthier lifestyle.
“The Old Glory Relay is symbolic of our belief that veterans are our most resilient citizens. As we pass the American Flag from one supporter to the next over its 3,100-mile journey, we display consistent support that connects thousands of Americans.”Mike Erwin, Executive Director, Team RWB
Celebrate in Mobile
Get ready for a party, Mobile. Airbus is hosting a big welcome celebration with food, drinks and live music for the flag’s arrival in Mobile on Sunday, June 26—and you’re invited!
- Where: Bienville Square in downtown Mobile—150 Dauphin St, Mobile, AL 36607
- When: Sunday, June 26 at 4:30PM
“So many Airbus team members proudly served our nation in uniform, so we are especially honored to host this event to show our admiration and support. We invite Alabamians to join us at Bienville Square on Sunday to welcome the flag, honor our veterans and celebrate as Alabama takes its place on the world stage with The World Games 2022.”Daryl Taylor, Vice President and General Manager, Airbus US Manufacturing Facility in Mobile
Old Glory Relay schedule
Take an in-depth look at the flag’s journey to The World Games 2022 Opening Ceremony:
- June 26: Flag crosses the state line into Alabama on US 98 and arrives for a rally at Bienville Square in downtown Mobile at 4:30PM
- June 27: Flag journeys through downtown Mobile beginning at approximately 7:30AM before traveling through Africatown, Spanish Fort, Loxley and Robertsdale before arriving in Pensacola, Florida, at approximately 4:30PM.
- June 28: Flag will arrive in Andalusia at approximately 5:30PM.
- June 29: Flag will arrive at the State Capitol in Montgomery at approximately 4:30PM.
- June 30: Flag journeys through Elmore, Deatsville, Marbury and Verbena before arriving in Clanton at approximately 5PM.
- July 1: Flag journeys through Columbiana, Chelsea and Argo before arriving in Springville at approximately 5PM.
- July 2: Flag journeys through Locust Fork, Cleveland, Blountsville, Holly Pond and Baileyton before arriving in Huntsville at approximately 6PM.
- July 3: Flag journeys through Madison, Decatur and Moulton before arriving in Haleyville at approximately 4:30PM.
- July 4: Flag journeys through Winfield and Vernon before arriving in Columbus, Mississippi at approximately 6:30PM.
- July 5: Flag journeys through Pickensville and Carrollton before arriving in Tuscaloosa at approximately 6PM.
- July 6: Flag will arrive in Hoover at approximately 1PM and then journeys through Vestavia Hills and Homewood before arriving in Birmingham between 4:30-6PM.
- July 7: Flag is carried into The World Games 2022 Opening Ceremony presented by Alabama Power at 8PM.
Tickets for the Opening and Closing Ceremonies, as well as all competition days are still available! Buy tickets.
For more buzzy news like this delivered straight to your inbox, sign up for our free newsletter.