Say cheese! The Montgomery Photo Festival is coming up soon, showcasing stunning photo exhibits from global and local artists, a photography competition and a juror’s talk that gives artists the opportunity to learn more about their craft from a distinguished guest. Read on to capture the details.
Highlighting photography as a fine art
Formerly known as The Society of Arts & Crafts (SAC’s)/Stonehenge Gallery Photo Competition, the Montgomery Photo Festival highlights talented photographers with work from four different categories:
- Black and White
- Alternative process
- Manipulation (digital + film)
Each photo on display in the exhibit is hand-selected by juror Anna Walker Skillman, established curator and owner of Jackson Fine Art in Atlanta. The exhibit is presented by SAC’s, a nonprofit committed to the advancement of art education and appreciation.
“The Montgomery Photo Festival is excited to give high school students, members of camera clubs from around the state and photographers from literally all over the world the chance to exhibit their images and to help be part of making photography a fine art.”Warren Simons, Event coordinator, Montgomery Photo Festival
Celebrate 3 unique exhibits
The Montgomery Photo Festival features three opening receptions that you don’t want to miss. Mark your calendars to support the opening day of these impressive displays:
1. Kress on Dexter: international photo exhibit
Opening reception: Saturday, August 13 | 6-8PM
Where: The Community Room at Kress on Dexter, 39 Dexter Ave, Montgomery, AL 36104
View 120 pieces of stunning artwork selected by juror Anna Walker Skillman. The opening reception includes refreshments, and winners of the fourth annual photography exhibit will be announced. Nine awards will be given for:
- Best of show: $1,000
- Best in each of four categories (color, black and white, manipulation + alternative process): $500 each
- Merit award in each category: $250
This exhibit will be on display through August 27, when it will move to the International Art Center at Troy University.
2. Stonehenge Gallery: Alabama camera clubs exhibit
Photos from four photography clubs in Montgomery and Birmingham will be on display.
- Opening reception: Saturday, August 13 | Noon-1PM
- Where: Stonehenge Gallery, 401 Cloverdale Rd, Montgomery, AL 36106
This exhibit will be on display through August 27.
3. The SAC’s Gallery: Alabama high school student photo exhibit
Admire the work of talented high school students at the SAC’s Gallery. This exhibit gives students the opportunity to participate in the process of preparing work for exhibition, exhibiting in a gallery space, viewing work by their contemporaries and meeting other photographers. Cash prizes will be awarded at the reception and refreshments will be served.
- Opening reception: Saturday, August 13 | 1-3PM
- Where: Society of Arts and Crafts Gallery, 529 S Perry St, #14, Montgomery, AL 36104
This exhibit will be on display until August 27, with viewing hours on Tuesday and Thursday, 2-4PM, or by appointment.
Plus, don’t miss out on the opportunity to hear from juror Anna Walker Skillman, discussing her selections for this year’s exhibit.
- When: Sunday, August 14 | 10:30AM
- Where: Georgine Clark Alabama Artists Gallery, RSA Tower, 201 Monroe Street, Montgomery, AL 36104
- Important note: On Sunday, the main entrance to the building on Monroe Street is closed. Swing around the building onto South McDonough Street to access the side entrance.
Want more buzzy news? Subscribe to our FREE newsletter.