Holiday shopping is fast approaching, and Alabama shops, boutiques and retailers are gearing up for a great season. Just in time, the Alabama Retail Association has chosen its 2023 Retailers of the Year from across the state—with everything from art in Anniston to barbecue in Birmingham.
“It is an honor to be able to recognize such an outstanding group of retailers. Each retailer honored is a credit to their community and the retail industry.”Rick Brown, president, Alabama Retail Association
The winners of the 2023 Retailers of the Year
The awards are broken down into four categories based on sales volume. Keep reading for a couple extra awards, too!
Annual Sales Less than $1M
- Gold Award (Tie): Toodlebugs in Athens, owned by Melissa Sides Anderson
- Gold Award (Tie): Lily Jane Boutique in Auburn, owned by Sarah Jane Levine
- Silver Award: Nunnally’s Noble Frame & Gallery in Anniston, owned by Ann C. Welch
Annual Sales $1M-$5M
- Gold Award: Clover + Bee in Vestavia Hills, owned by Bryson Kessler
- Silver Award: The Name Dropper/Storkland in Montgomery, owned by Sid, Shea, Brian and Gina Schroll
- Bronze Award: ExVoto in Mountain Brook and Montgomery, owned by Elizabeth Adams
Annual Sales $5M-$20M
- Gold Award: Wrapsody in Hoover, Auburn, Trussville and Homewood; owned by Christie Howell
- Silver Award: JBT Power in Daphne and Semmes, owned by Gregg Wood (sales manager is Wood’s son, Ben)
- Bronze Award: Tuc and Reese Wilson, owners of Saw’s Inc., and Jennifer Wilson, president, CEO and manager of Saw’s Inc. in Homewood and managing member of Saw’s Juke Joint in Crestline; the Wilson family also holds the majority ownership of Saw’s Soul Kitchen in Birmingham
Annual Sales More than $20M
- McKinnon Toyota and Nissan in Clanton, owned by Mark McKinnon
Emerging Retailer of the Year + Customer’s Choice Award
For those businesses that are under five years old, the Alabama Retail Association awards one business the Emerging Retailer of the Year title. This year, it’s Bridge + Root in Birmingham’s Mercantile on Morris. Opened in 2021, this men’s fashion store owned by Aisha Taylor has been a popular pick for Birmingham and beyond.
David and Jennifer Smith, president and vice president of David Christopher’s Inc. in Sheffield, won the Customer’s Choice Award. This designation is given to the local business with the most Facebook votes. David Christopher’s—a retailer of gifts, decor, cards and much more—took the prize with 22% of the vote.
Want updates like this delivered straight to your inbox? Sign up for our newsletter today.