Reviewed by: Pat Byington
Fishing towns in America are often popular destinations for travelers and adventurers looking to indulge in fresh and delicious seafood along with taking in the scenic views and activities that fishing towns have to offer.
It’s no secret that Alabama is widely known for having a plethora of fishing hubs across the state. One small town in particular has been named as one of The 10 Most Charming Fishing Towns in the America by TheTravel. Keep reading to see the small town in Alabama made the list.
What is TheTravel?
TheTravel is a digital publishing resource covering all things related to travel destinations worldwide. From off-the-beaten path to popular tourist spots, the publication serves as a resource in, but not limited to, global experiences, first-hand reviews and travel guides.
TheTravel recently named a small town in Alabama one of the top 10 most charming fishing towns in America—let’s see who it is.
Bayou La Batre
Sitting along the Alabama Gulf Coast nestled on the Mississippi Sound, Bayou La Batre is one of the most charming fishing towns in America.
Bayou La Batre is a small town in Mobile County with a population of 2,900 that is steeped in Southern history and soulful charm. Take a drive down the Alabama Coastal Connection to experience the bayou to the fullest exploring the views of the stunning coast, shrimping boats, and of course taking in the delicious smells of fresh creole cuisine along the way.
About the town
- Many fellow Alabamians know that Bayou La Batre has been named the “Seafood Capitol of Alabama,” and home to some of the best fishing and fresh seafood in the state.
- According the the Bayou La Batre Chamber of Commerce, the town has estimated over $80 million annually from commercial seafood landing.
- The town is widely recognized for its mention in the iconic film, Forrest Gump, as being the fictional character, Bubba Gump’s, hometown.
- Popular location for the design and construction of oil supply boats, work boats, barges, tugs, jack-up rigs, and shrimp boats.
- pronounced “By-luh-ba-tree”
The other 9 fishing towns
Curious to see who else made the list? See the other 9 small towns in TheTravel recognized to be some of the most charming fishing villages in America.
- Glenwood Springs, Colorado
- Newport, Oregon
- Stonington, Maine
- Traverse City, Michigan
- Salmon, Idaho
- Port Clinton, Ohio
- Minocqua, Wisconsin
- Bend, Oregon
- Kodiak, Alaska
Have you been to Bayou La Batre? Let us know and tag us @TheBamaBuzz