Reviewed by: Pat Byington
Montgomery has a rich history, with roots in the Civil Rights movement, Civil War and cultural movements throughout the 20th century. There are many historical landmarks and museums to see, such as:
- The National Memorial for Peace and Justice
- The Legacy Museum
- Dexter Avenue King Memorial Baptist Church
- The Civil Rights Memorial Center
- The Rosa Parks Museum
- Freedom Rides Museum
- Tours with Wanda Battle and Michelle Browder
- Hank Williams Museum
- The Scott and Zelda Fitzgerald Museum
Other fun things to do
Another enjoyable activity in Montgomery, according to Southern Living, is to visit the Riverwalk, which connects with Riverwalk Stadium, the home of the city’s minor league baseball team, the Montgomery Biscuits. This game day pastime includes refreshments, giveaways and fireworks.
Here is their 2023 schedule.
Did you know that Montgomery will soon become a mecca for white water rafting? A new, recently-created course will open this July. Montgomery Whitewater also includes rock climbing, mountain biking, ropes courses and walking trails.
Best Restaurants in Montgomery
Southern Living, which is also known for its recipes and cooking tips, recommended these 13 delish restaurants! Note – the wide variety of cuisines from Korean to Vegan.
- Martin’s Restaurant
- Central Restaurant
- Vintage Year
- Plant Bae
- D’Road Café
- So Gong Dong Tofu & BBQ
- Kalim Korean BBQ
- Fish & BBQ Korean Restaurant
- Prevail Union
- Hilltop Public House
- Common Bond Brewers
- Goat Haus Biergarten
Where to stay
If these activities have enticed you, Southern Living recommends either booking an Airbnb or staying at the Trilogy Autograph Hotel. Trilogy, according to Southern Living, is the earliest boutique hotel in Montgomery and in accordance with its name originated from three other historical spaces downtown, convenient to many of the sights mentioned.
Here are a few places and activities that did not make it on Southern Living’s list, but we at The Bama Buzz recommend.
- The Montgomery Zoo & Mann Wildlife Learning Museum provides kids and adults an opportunity to see many different wildlife. From deer exhibitions to wild turkey to all the bears of North America (Polar, Grizzly, Brown, Black), these unique displays will be interesting to the whole family.
- The world-renowned Alabama Shakespeare Festival in the Carolyn Blount Theatre in Montgomery is home to some phenomenal plays.
- Change into a sports coat or cocktail dress and head to the luxury cigar bar, 23 Court. With extensive cigar and spirit menus, this local favorite is sure to be a fun time.
- Speaking of drinks, the restaurant La Jolla’s wine list includes over 100 wines! With a daily happy hour from 4-6PM for even if you can’t make dinner. La Jolla has a little bit of everything, from delish small plates and salads to big entrees, with hybrid creations like korean-style barbecue salmon and blue cheese crusted bison ribeye. Yum!
What’s your favorite thing to do in Montgomery? Let us know @thebamabuzz!