This month Southern Living compiled their list of the ten best hotels in the South, including Alabama’s own Grand Hotel Golf Resort and Spa in Point Clear.
Keep reading for the details on what makes this Alabama hotel one of the best in the South.
About The Grand Hotel Resort & Spa
According to Southern Living, the Grand provides guests “luxurious yet comfortable stays” on the Gulf Coast of Alabama, surrounded by the Mobile Bay. Set on 550 acres of land, the Grand Hotel offers all kinds of luxury amenities including:
- 405 freshly renovated rooms and suites
- 9 dining and bar options (including 3 unique onsite restaurants)
- 2 18-hole golf courses on the Robert Trent Jones trail
- 20,000 square ft spa
- 10 tennis courts
- 10 pickleball courts
- 2 croquet courts
History of The Grand
The Grand opened its doors in 1847, originally built as a two-story building with 40 rooms. Guests at the time traveled to the Grand Hotel by steamboats and docked at what is now the Marina.
From its strategic location on the Mobile Bay, the site actually served as a hospital during the Civil War and later as host to key training operations during World War II.
Over the years the hotel and its reputation grew, with the hotel guest list boasting an array of well-known guests. Some of the past guests of The Grand include:
- Dolly Parton
- Barbara Bush
- Condoleeza Rice
- Patty Labelle
- Robert De Niro
- Miley Cyrus
- Margaret Thatcher
- Toby Keith
- Jimmy Buffett
- Lionel Richie
Find out more about The Grand: Website | Instagram | Facebook
Other top hotels
So what other hotels made the list? Here’s Southern Living’s other picks for top hotels in the South.
- The King and Prince Beach & Golf Resort- St. Simons Island, Georgia
- W Hotel– Nashville, Tennessee
- The Cloister at Sea Island– Sea Island, Georgia
- Hotel Monteleone– New Orleans, Louisiana
- The Greenbrier– White Sulfur Springs, West Virginia
- The Inn on Biltmore Estate– Asheville, North Carolina
- The Peabody– Memphis, Tennessee
- The Omni Grove Park Inn– Asheville, North Carolina
- Nicewonder Farm and Vineyards– Bristol, Virginia
Have you visited one of these top hotels? Let us know on Facebook or Instagram!
You must be logged in to post a comment.