The Port City has a lot of stories to tell, and one organization is looking to capture them. StoryCorps’ Mobile Tour is coming to Mobile, Alabama. Here’s why we’re excited about it.
StoryCorps’ stop in Mobile, Alabama
As StoryCorps’ Mobile Tour rolls into Mobile, they’re encouraging locals to come out and tell their stories. After you make your reservation, here’s how it works during your allotted time:
- A trained StoryCorps Facilitator will be there to guide you and your interview partner of choice through a welcome, prep and soundcheck.
- You and your partner sit down and have a 40-minute conversation, asking questions and learning more about each other.
- StoryCorps records the interview, saving and archiving it (if given permission), and also giving the interviewees a copy.
- You and your partner get photos taken at the end of the interview.
The StoryCorps airstream will be staying in the Port City for four weeks, during which time folks can have their stories recorded either in-person or online.
- Dates: October 26-November 22
- In-Person Location: Mardi Gras Park, 104-148 S Royal St, Mobile, AL 36602
- Reservations + Information on Virtual Recordings
StoryCorps is like a time capsule, capturing the stories of everyday Americans for future generations to look back on. Archiving the stories at the American Folklife Center at the Library of Congress, StoryCorps ensures that 21st-century life is authentically told.
Plus, in an age where face-to-face conversations are waning, StoryCorps allows people uninterrupted time to make lasting connections and archive it for future generations.
Since their founding in October 2003, they’ve collected thousands and thousands of interviews, which include folks from all 50 states. In 2019 they stopped in Birmingham, and now they’re ready to hear Mobile’s stories. “Listen. Honor. Share.” That’s what it’s all about.
We can’t wait to welcome StoryCorps back to to Alabama.
Want updates like this delivered straight to your inbox? Sign up for our newsletter today.