After 54 years, the historic University of Alabama (UA) all-women residence Julia Tutwiler Hall is getting demolished this 4th of July. Read on for more details, including how to watch our live stream of the major event.
The end of an era
For students at UA, living at Tutwiler Hall is like a badge of honor. Mainly due to the fact that over the years, the amenities have begun to age and deteriorate—but hey, that’s what makes it charming.
As all good things come to an end, the second iteration of Tutwiler Hall will be imploded on Monday, July 4. Established in 1968, the residence hall was named after Julia Tutwiler, who was known as the mother of coeducation in Alabama. She successfully lobbied The University of Alabama Board of Trustees to allow women as students.
Fun fact: Julia Tutwiler was also a successful advocate for prison reform in Alabama, and she wrote the official state song!
After a comprehensive evaluation, it was determined that a renovation would not be cost-effective, so UA has built a new $144.9 million Tutwiler Hall next to the old building, opening in August. The dorm will remain an all-girls residence.
For many generations of UA students, Tutwiler holds a special place in their hearts. Whether you’ll be in town or watching from your screen, we’ve got you covered.
How to watch in person:
- A small public viewing area will be available for those who’d like a glimpse of the demolition.
- Where: Top floor of the Magnolia Parking Deck—800 Paul W Bryant Dr, Tuscaloosa, AL 35401
- When: Implosion will occur at 7AM on Monday, July 4
- Additional details: The public should access the deck by taking Bryant Drive to 6th Ave. Parking will be available on the first two floors of the parking deck and in the surface lots around the deck. Dust masks will be provided to spectators who watch the implosion from the Magnolia Parking Deck. Click for a map of the public viewing area.
Catch our live stream:
The Bama Buzz team will have a front-row seat to the action and we’ll be going live on Facebook to share the 7AM event. Make sure to follow us on Facebook + Instagram so you don’t miss out.
Additionally, UA will be live streaming the event here.
Heads up—the following streets will be closed beginning at 5AM, Monday, July 4 and will reopen following the implosion:
- Paul W. Bryant Drive from 6th Avenue to Wallace Wade Avenue.
- 10th Avenue from 12th Street to Paul W. Bryant Drive.
- 12th Street from 8th Avenue to 10th Avenue.
- 8th Avenue from Paul W. Bryant Drive to 12th Street.
- Colonial Drive from Paul W. Bryant Drive to Judy Bonner Drive.
- Magnolia Drive from Paul W. Bryant Drive to Judy Bonner Drive.
The following streets will be closed beginning at 5AM to westbound traffic at 7th Avenue:
- 10th Alley.
- 11th Street.
- 11th Alley.
For more buzzy news like this delivered straight to your inbox, sign up for our free newsletter.
You must be logged in to post a comment.