Martin Luther King, Jr. Day is right around the corner and cities are celebrating his birthday with parades, commemorations, scholarship breakfasts and more. Keep reading to see how you can support Martin Luther King’s dream and the civil rights movement.
1. Martin Luther King, Jr. Commemoration
UAB Keynote Speaker Dr. Paulette Dilworth leads a commemoration to touch on the importance of MLK’s thoughts through the theme “Together we can be the dream”. There will also be a performance by Miles College choir, a Historically Black College and University (HBCU).
- When: Friday, January 13 | 11:30AM-1PM
- Where: Margaret Cameron Spain Auditorium | 620 19th St S, Birmingham, AL 35233
- Cost: Free
2. 7th Annual MLK Day 5K Drum Run
Start your MLK weekend by participating in the 5K Drum Run race. Proceeds go to the Leftover Energy Foundation, which supports communities that specialize in music and art. Need some motivation while you run? They even have a playlist to inspire you to get your best 5K time ever!
1. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Parade
In Montgomery for MLK weekend? In honor of MLK day, as well as the famous march from Selma to Montgomery, the Montgomery Martin Luther King Committee celebrates the day by hosting a parade through downtown Montgomery. The lineup starts at Troy University Montgomery and all organizations are invited to sign up to be in the parade.
- When: Saturday, January 14 | 1PM
- Where: Downtown Montgomery
- Cost: Free
- Register to be in the parade
1. 2023 MLK Scholarship Breakfast
“Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.” This quote by Martin Luther King, Jr. is this year’s focus for the MLK scholarship breakfast hosted by Auburn University. All proceeds from the event support scholarships in the local community.
- When: Monday, January 16 | 7:30-10AM
- Where: Auburn University Hotel and Dixon Conference Center | 241 S College St, Auburn, AL 36830
- Cost: $45
1. A Celebration of MLK through song, dance and spoken word
MLK’s words and dreams will be captured through the fine arts of the University of Alabama’s School of Music. This commemorative performance is a co-sponsorship of the School of Music and Dr. Christine Taylor.
- When: Thursday, January 26 | 7:30-8:30PM
- Where: Moody Music Building Concert Hall | 810 2nd Ave, Tuscaloosa, AL 35401
- Cost: Free
1. 8th Annual MLK Awards Gala
People United to Advance the Dream Mobile, Incorporated hosts its 8th annual Martin Luther King Gala under the theme, “Overcoming hate with love”.
The event will honor local community leaders for their work in the following fields:
- Community Service
- Health & Human Service
- The Drum Major Award (The Highest Honor)
There will be a dinner of chicken chardonnay, herb-roasted potatoes, vegetable medley and a garden salad as well as a cash bar.
- When: Sunday, January 15 | 5-9PM
- Where: Holiday Inn | 301 Government St, Mobile, AL 36602
- Cost: $65-$500
2. 2023 Bridge Builder Classic | Alabama A&M vs Alabama State University
Alabama A&M and Alabama State University are two HBCU schools that have most recently played against each other in the Magic City Classic football event. They will now be facing each other once again on the courts during the Bridge Builder Classic basketball event.
The name Bridge Builder Classic was chosen to enhance the exposure of HBCUs and show the role sports have on aspiring young professionals.
- When: Monday, January 16 | Women: 1PM | Men: 3:30PM
- Where: Mitchell Center | 5950 Old Shell Rd, Mobile, AL 36608
- Cost: $10