With the recent surge in COVID-19 cases across the state of Alabama, we all need to do our part to take care of ourselves and our loved ones. Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama is covering the cost of the third dose for eligible members. Keep reading for all the details.
The third dose is for severely immunocompromised individuals
The CDC recommends a third dose of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine for moderately to severely immunocompromised individuals. These include people who have:
- Been receiving active cancer treatment for tumors or cancers of the blood
- Received an organ or stem cell within the last 2 years and are taking medicine to suppress the immune system
- Moderate or severe primary immunodeficiency (such as DiGeorge Syndrome or Wiskott-Aldrich Syndrome)
- Advanced or untreated HIV infection
- Active treatment with high dose steroids or other drugs that may suppress the immune system
Talk to your doctor to see if a third dose is recommended for you.
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama will cover costs
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama immunocompromised members will be eligible for no out-of-pocket costs, whether they are on individual, Medicare, or most employer health plans.
Ready to get your COVID vaccine in Alabama? Here’s how.
To stay up to date with all things Alabama, follow us @thebamabuzz and sign up for our newsletter!
You must be logged in to post a comment.