Did you know that December 1 is Rosa Parks Day in Alabama? The Rosa Parks Museum on the Troy University Montgomery campus is holding a ceremony as part of celebrating Rosa Parks Day. At the ceremony, new artwork by Ian Mangum will be unveiled. You are invited to the event after the ceremony and we’ve got the scoop for you.
New art, live music to honor Mrs. Parks
At the ceremony on December 1, a new piece of artwork honoring Mrs. Parks will be dedicated. The artwork is by local artist Ian Mangum. It will be right outside of the museum.
The ceremony will be in the morning and is invitation only, but everyone is welcome to the museum in the afternoon. You can see the new artwork for yourself, check out the museum’s artifacts and hear some great music by The Westerlies.
There’s nothing better than spending Rosa Parks Day at the Rosa Parks Museum. We’ve got you covered with the details on how you can be involved in the fun:
- When: December 1, 2021 starting at 1PM
- Where: The Rosa Parks Museum | 252 Montgomery St, Montgomery, AL 36104
- Cost: FREE museum admission for everyone
I don’t know about you, but I will definitely be making my way to the Rosa Parks Museum to celebrate Mrs. Parks and the new art sculpture.
What is the Rosa Parks Museum?
The Rosa Parks Museum is on the Troy University Montgomery campus. Located in the heart of Montgomery, the museum is at the site where Mrs. Parks was arrested.
The museum has a neat collection of historic artifacts:
- the original fingerprint arrest record of Mrs. Parks
- a 1950s-era Montgomery city bus
- original works of art including statuary and quilts, court documents and police reports
- a restored 1955 station wagon (known as a “rolling church”) used to transport protesters
It is not only a special place in Alabama, but in the whole nation because it’s the only museum dedicated to Mrs. Parks. It serves as a living memorial for Mrs. Parks and her everlasting mark on civil rights.
If you visit the Rosa Parks Museum, tag us on Instagram @thebamabuzz.
You must be logged in to post a comment.