With old-time favorites like the Old Town Beer Exchange and new breweries like Green Bus Brewing, Huntsville’s craft brewing scene is ever-changing—but always exciting. We took a look at the 13 craft breweries, bottle shops and more along the Downtown Huntsville Craft Beer Trail!
Have you tried the Downtown Huntsville Craft Beer Trail?
Huntsville may be famous for its space program, but Rocket City’s craft brewing scene is definitely out of this world. To make it easier to visit each unique craft brewery, the city has developed a detailed Downtown Huntsville Craft Beer Trail with each of Rocket City’s breweries—so we had to try it out!
Pro Tip: Be sure to grab two Craft Beer Trail cards at the Huntsville/Madison County Visitor Center or one of the stops below. If you get your cards stamped at each of the Huntsville breweries, you’ll receive a free Trail Boss bottle opener!
1. Below the Radar Brewing Co.
- Contact: 256.469.6617 | Facebook | Instagram
- Address: 220 Holmes Avenue NE, Huntsville, AL 35801
Located inside the historic Huntsville Times building, Below the Radar Brewing offers small batch craft brews on 32 taps.
- If you like:
- Light Beers: Try the Craft Lager or Krusch Kolsch.
- Sours: Try the Pineapple Sour.
- Not a Beer Fan? Try the Ginger Lime Kombucha or the Classic Root Beer.
Pro Tip: Swing by Below the Radar Brewing on Monday’s for “Sci-Fi Monday’s”, with classic Star Trek streamed on the big screen all day!
2. Chandler’s Ford Brewing
- Contact: 256.427.2500 | Website | Facebook | Instagram
- Address: 109 Northside Square, Huntsville, AL 35801
Located inside the BeeZr® Gastropub + Social Exchange, Chandler’s Ford Brewing is a small-batch brewery focused on India Pale Ales, high-gravity barrel-aged brews and more. And here’s a fun fact—Chandler’s Ford Brewing is able to serve many of their beers straight from the tank. It doesn’t get much fresher than that!
3. InnerSpace Brewing Co.
- Contact: 256.489.5599 | Website | Facebook | Email
- Address: 2414 Clinton Ave, Huntsville, AL 35805
With a name like “InnerSpace Brewing Company”, it’s no surprise that this family-owned brewery’s taproom is decked out in some facinating space- and science fiction-themed decor! Located in the Butler Green Arts & Entertainment district, InnerSpace Brewing Company serves up some delicious “Beer for the Final Frontier” daily!
4. Green Bus Brewing
- Contact: 256.990.2477 | Facebook | Instagram
- Address: 206 Eustis Avenue, Huntsville, AL 35801
One of the city’s newest breweries, Green Bus Brewing is located in a beautiful, 150-year-old building in historic downtown Huntsville. At Green Bus Brewing, you’ll find a delicious and ever-changing menu of IPAs, lagers, light beers and much more.
5. Mad Malts Brewing
- Contact: 256.503.2233 | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
- Address: 109 Maple Avenue, Huntsville, AL 35801
If you love smooth, malty beers, you’ve come to the right place. Be sure to check their schedule—Mad Malts Brewing hosts local bands most weeks!
6. Old Town Beer Exchange
- Contact: 256.270.7825 | Website | Facebook | Instagram
- Address: 301 Holmes Avenue, Huntsville, AL 35801
Since they opened in 2015, Old Town Beer Exchange (OTBX) has been a highly popular Huntsville attraction. At OTBX, you’ll find a huge selection of microbrews from all over, plus an excellent wine selection. Although OTBX doesn’t serve food, be sure to stay in-the-loop for upcoming community events!
7. Rocket Republic Brewing
- Contact: 256.517.8388 | Website | Facebook | Instagram
- Address (Downtown): 617 Meridian St, Huntsville, AL 35801
- Address (Madison): 289 Production Ave, Madison, AL 35758
Although Rocket Republic Brewing has been making delicious brews since 2013, it wasn’t until 2015 that the team opened their own taproom. Since then, Rocket Republic Brewing has been a local favorite—producing all of their beers in-house.
8. Salty Nut Brewery
- Contact: 256.713.8877 | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
- Address: 2406 Clinton Avenue West, Huntsville, AL 35805
Founded in 2011 by a group of friends, Salty Nut Brewery has grown into a full-scale brewery at Campus 805 in Huntsville. Stop by Salty Nut Brewery for amazing brews, fun times, live music and more!
9. Straight to Ale Brewing
- Contact: 256.801.9650 | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
- Address: 2610 Clinton Avenue, Huntsville, AL 35805
In 2009, several home brewers founded Straight to Ale brewing in Huntsville and quickly gained attention with their popular brews, such as the Monkeynaut India Pale Ale. Seven years later, the team opened a brand new, 45,000 square-foot facility at Campus 805, a craft brewing center and entertainment venue in West Huntsville. And that’s not all—the team also distills spirits, and their Vodka was recently ranked in the “Top 100 Spirits of 2020” by Wine Enthusiast!
10. Yellowhammer Brewing
- Contact: 256.489.3510 | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
- Address: 2600 Clinton Avenue West, Huntsville, AL 35805
Founded in 2010, Yellowhammer Brewing is focused on crafting premium ales and lagers, with inspiration from Belgian and German brewing traditions—but with a Southern twist.
“Usually our recommendations for first-timers are as follows:
Something Light = T-Minus Tangerine Kolsch, 5% abv. German-style Kolsch with bright tangerine flavors. Inspired by the famous powdered orange drink sent to space with America’s first astronauts. $1 from every T-Minus sold is donated to the Space Camp Scholarship Fund.
If you like Lagers = Rebellion Red Lager, 5.4% abv. Inspired by German brewing tradition but a true American hybrid. Rebellion blends German imported malts and domestic hops for a crisp, malty lager.
If you like IPA’s = Solid Sounds New England-style IPA, 6.6% abv. A hazy IPA with a soft, balanced bitterness and tropical fruit flavors/aromas.
If you like Sours = Sunliner Passion Fruit Guava Gose, 5% abv. Brewed with Indian Coriander and Pink Himalayan Sea salt.”Yellowhammer Brewing
11. Church Street Wine Shoppe
- Contact: 256.970.4097 | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
- Address: 501 Church Street NW, Huntsville, AL 35801
If you like wine, you need to check out Huntsville’s newest wine shoppe. Owned & operated by Matthew and Stephanie Mell, Church Street Wine Shoppe is a Huntsville staple, with weekly tastings and over 1,000 wines from across the world.
12. Corner Pour
Have you ever visited a self-serve brewery? Now you can! At Corner Pour, you can refill your glass with any beer or wine of your choosing without having to wait in line.
13. Liquor Express
- Contact: 256.539.4333 | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
- Address: 1802 University Drive NW, Huntsville, AL 35801
Whether you’re looking for craft beer, liquor, wine or anything in-between, Liquor Express has it all. As Alabama’s largest beer, wine and spirits store, Liquor Express features a beautiful taproom with your favorite local & regional brews and much more.
You must be logged in to post a comment.