The Iron Bowl is one of the biggest days in college football. Alabama and Auburn fans alike understand the depth of this rivalry. If you plan on watching the Iron Bowl from Tuscaloosa, here’s how to Iron Bowl like a pro—coming straight from a Bama grad. Read on for how to find your perfect game day outfit, places to snag your buttons, bars for the perfect game watching spot and more.
A brief Iron Bowl history
Why is it called the Iron Bowl? I’m glad you asked.
The rivalry game between these two Alabama team first took place at a neutral site—Legion Field in Birmingham. Birmingham had a historic role in the steel industry, hence the nickname Iron City.
Now, the Iron Bowl is played in Jordan-Hare stadium on odd years and at Bryant-Denny Stadium on even years.
The game takes place right after Thanksgiving, so it’s the perfect time to be thankful you aren’t an Auburn Tiger.
Getting prepared from head to toe
It’s no secret that University of Alabama students and fans are well-dressed. In fact, I don’t think I got more dressed up for anything else in college. I remember working on our game day outfits for weeks.
As a seasoned Tuscaloosa shopper, I’ve given you a few of my favorite shops for the perfect crimson and white outfit. My ultimate favorite? Lavish Tuscaloosa.
- Lavish Tuscaloosa | 1800 McFarland Blvd E Ste 114 A, Tuscaloosa, AL 35404 | Shop online
- Lucca | 2111 University Blvd, Tuscaloosa, AL 35401 | Shop online
- Pants Store | 2223 University Blvd, Tuscaloosa, AL 35401 | Shop online
- Pause Boutique | 509 Greensboro Ave, Tuscaloosa, AL 35401 | Shop online
- Shop The Row | 705 Paul W. Bryant Drive Tuscaloosa, Alabama 35401 | Shop online
Need some inspiration? I’ve pulled out some photos from past game days in Tuscaloosa.
Get your buttons ready, TTown
At Alabama, you’ll be decked out in stickers and buttons. Add a “Beat Auburn” button to your outfit to show off your school pride.
Head to The Strip to pick up your game day buttons, here are three spots you’ll find them:
- Alabama Express | 1141 University Blvd, Tuscaloosa, AL 35401
- Bama Stuff | 1015 University Blvd, Tuscaloosa, AL 35401
- Towncenter University Supply Store | 1130 University Blvd #A2, Tuscaloosa, AL 35401
Don’t worry, I picked up a “Beat Auburn” button for the game. They’ll have a button for every opponent OR just grab a “Beat Everyone” button.
Where to watch the game
Bars will be open and ready for the celebrations. I’ve put together a list of Tuscaloosa bars that are perfect for your own watch party or tailgate—including the famous Gallettes (of course).
Watch their social media pages for opening times, drink specials and more.
- Gallettes | 1021 University Blvd, Tuscaloosa, AL 35401 | Instagram
- The Booth | 504 21st Ave, Tuscaloosa, AL 35401 | Instagram
- The Houndstooth | 1300 University Blvd, Tuscaloosa, AL 35401 | Instagram
- Innisfree Pub | 1925 University Blvd, Tuscaloosa, AL 35401 | Instagram
- Moe’s Original BBQ | 2101 University Blvd, Tuscaloosa, AL 35401 | Instagram
- Druid City Social | 301 Greensboro Ave, Tuscaloosa, AL 35401 | Instagram
- The Red Shed | 509 Red Drew Ave, Tuscaloosa, AL 35401 | Instagram
- The Bear Trap | 1137 University Blvd, Tuscaloosa, AL 35401 | Instagram
- Rounders | 1215 University Blvd, Tuscaloosa, AL 35401 | Instagram
At Gallettes, you can get a Yellowhammer, Alabama’s signature drink. This is my favorite spot to watch the Crimson Tide.
Game time deets
- Date: Saturday, November 27
- Time: 2:30PM CT
- Location: Jordan-Hare Stadium | Auburn, AL
- Where to watch: CBS
How are you celebrating the Iron Bowl, Alabama? Tag us on social @thebamabuzz and let us know! Roll Tide!
You must be logged in to post a comment.