Happy Monday, Alabama! As you may remember, we like to take some time on Mondays to highlight local businesses around our wonderful state. This week, out of Mobile, we wanted to showcase some local bakeries around town, starting with Guncles Gluten Free Bakery. Keep reading to learn all about how you can have your cake and eat it too (without any tummy troubles).
Stay tuned, too, we’re gonna wrap this up by featuring three other bakeries in the Mobile area for you to get your sweet tooth fix.
Meet the Guncles themselves
Did you know that it’s estimated that about 6-7% of the U.S. population has some sort of gluten sensitivity or allergy? The same can be said for John Edward McGee, one of the two “Guncles” of Guncles Gluten Free Bakery. In 2007, John Edward discovered he had a rare condition that made it impossible for him to eat wheat or gluten any longer.
After years of trying (and failing) with his partner, Demetrius James, to find some baked goodies that both satisfied John Edward’s sweet tooth and had no trace of gluten, John Edward met a young girl with a similar gluten intolerance who had never once tried a birthday cake.
This inspired our “Guncles” to start Guncles Gluten-Free Bakery, where they’ve perfected a wide variety of delicious and gluten-free goodies.
Get your Gluten-free Goodies
If someone in your life has a gluten intolerance and feels left out on indulging in sweet treats and baked goods, you’ve got to check out Guncles Gluten Free Bakery ASAP.
Whether your gluten-free loved one is looking for a delicious (and, frankly, beautiful) birthday cake, some savory herb & cheddar biscuits, or just a loaf of bread, Guncles Gluten Free Bakery specializes in gluten-free baked goods that taste just as good, if not better, than their gluten-containing counterparts.
Ready to check out Guncles Gluten Free Bakery for yourself? Here’s all you need to know:
- Address: 1252 Government St, Mobile, AL 36604
- Hours: Closed Sun. & Mon. | Tues.-Sat.: 8AM-3PM
- Contact: (251) 800-1348 | Website | Facebook
Some other bakeries to check out around Mobile
Bake My Day
Bake My Day is known for their chocolate chip cookies, which are actually so good that they’re regularly shipped all over the country! This West Mobile bake shop is absolutely perfect to grab a sweet treat to bring to any event.
- Address: 156 N McGregor Avenue, Mobile, AL 36608
- Hours: Mon.-Wed.: 11AM-4PM | Thurs.-Fri.: 11AM-5PM
- Contact: (251) 219-7261 | Website | Facebook
EllenJAY is an adorable little bakery owned by two hardworking moms who just want to bring a little something sweet into your life. You’ll love their sugar cookies, cupcakes and cake pops.
- Address: 2158 Airport Blvd, Mobile, AL 36606
- Hours: Mon.-Fri.: 9AM-5PM | Sat.: 10AM-4PM | Sun.: Closed
- Contact: (251) 219-7406 | Website | Facebook
Simply Sweet Shoppe
If you like a sweets shop that keeps things interesting, make sure to check out Simply Sweet Shoppe on Cottage Hill. They have a revolving menu of cupcake flavors, available fresh every day.
- Address: 6207 Cottage Hill Road, Mobile, AL 36609
- Hours: Closed Sun. & Mon. | Tues.-Fri.: 10AM-5PM | Sat.: 10AM-2PM
- Contact: (251) 665-3003 | Website | Facebook
Looking to keep up with all things Mobile? Check out our latest:
- Feel the luck of the Irish at these 7 St. Patty’s Day celebrations around Mobile
- Spring Hill College in Mobile gets an exclusive beer
- Mobile to get more efficient freight thanks to $100M grant
Want more like this? Make sure you subscribe to our newsletter & keep up with us on social media.
You must be logged in to post a comment.