From Saturday, April 23–Sunday, April 24, Alabama’s first Remote Area Medical clinic (RAM clinic) will come to Gadsden. Learn more about how you can receive free medical, vision or dental care this weekend.
What is a RAM clinic?
According to The Gadsden Times, this clinic will be the first of its kind in Alabama, coordinated by RAM. RAM is a non-profit that was founded in 1985 and has since treated more than 888,000 individuals with free, pop-up dental, vision and medical care.
At a RAM clinic, health practitioner volunteers provide a range of services, including things like:
- Dental: cleanings, fillings and extractions
- Medical: general medicine and prevention, including breast exams, diabetes screening, physicals, women’s health
- Vision: complete eye exams, testing for glaucoma, testing for diabetic retinopathy, glasses made on site
In addition, the volunteers provide helpful educational resources and information.
Is it really free?
Yep, all services are completely free and open to the public. No ID required.
You should bring food, water, any medications you take and a source of entertainment like a book or tablet to tide you over during what may be pretty lofty wait times. Restrooms will be available.
** IMPORTANT: Remember to wear a facial covering and be prepared to undergo a COVID-19 screening before entering the clinic. **
Where to find free healthcare in Gadsden this weekend
Want to take advantage of free healthcare in Gadsden this weekend? Here’s everything you need to know:
- Where: Gadsden City High School | 1917 Black Creek Pkwy, Gadsden, AL 35904
- When: Saturday, April 23—Sunday, April 24
- Time: Patient parking lot opens at midnight local time on Friday, April 22. At that time, patients will be provided with additional opening information. Clinic doors typically open at 6AM.
- What: Free healthcare services open to the public. Medical and option of dental or vision.
Healthcare professionals from across the country will come in to help with the clinic, including dental students from UAB.
Want more local news like this delivered straight to your inbox? Sign up for our FREE newsletter.