With summer officially in full swing and temperatures in the 90s, you and your family may be looking for a refreshing & hydrating snacks. Alabama has a great climate for farming, and while most commercial farming relies on single-crop plots, we still have a variety of fresh summer produce for all your snacking needs. Let’s take a look!
What’s in season right now?
So here in Alabama, we have really fertile farming land, especially in Lower Alabama. While most of our farming revenue, around 80% of it, comes from livestock like chickens and cows, we also boast crops like peaches, wheat, cotton, corn, and blueberries.
For this particular stank-hot part of the summer, we luckily have quite a few fruits & veggies in-season. Here’s a quick list of some in-season fruits in Lower Alabama:
How to get your own fresh produce in Mobile
There’s quite a few! Here’s a non-exhaustive list to get you started, plus a link to a larger list.
- Mac’s Fresh Produce: My personal favorite! Delicious fresh produce at great prices with super friendly staff.
- 3251 Old Shell Road, Mobile, AL
- Hours: 7 am — 6 pm every day except Sunday
- Mobile Flea Market: I know some people who go to the Mobile Flea Market just for the produce stands, they’re that good. But, if you’re looking for a full afternoon of fun, you can get your fresh produce while pilfering through stacks on stack of goodies!
- 401 Schillinger Road North, Mobile, AL
- Hours: 9 am — 5 pm, Saturdays & Sundays
- Ted & Nancy’s Fruitstand: The perfect side-of-the-road produce stand, the exact kind of place that you’ll spontaneously turn off the road into. Make sure you check out their local honeys & jams, too!
- 8751 Three Notch Road, Mobile, AL
- Hours: 9 am — 6 pm, daily
With this awesome selection of fresh produce and lovely, family owned stands to get it at, you’ll always have a refreshing summer-time snack.