1. Try one of the themed flights at Firehouse Wine Bar & Shop in Downtown Mobile.
Seven years ago Margo Alderton and her husband, Andre Lotz opened Firehouse Wine Bar & Shop in the Historic Hook and Ladder Station.
“We moved from New York (though Andre is originally from Cape Town, South Africa, hence our focus on Southern Hemisphere wines) and renovated the building where we currently live above the wine bar. We love the experience of being both downtown business owners as well as downtown residents!“Margo Alderton, Owner of Firehouse Wine Bar and Shop
Visitors, even the regulars, can expect to be encouraged to try new things.
Not only does Firehouse sell over 350 wines by the bottle and over 40 wines and beers by the glass, they frequently rotate their “by-the-glass” menus and are one of the few wine bars in Mobile that offer special wine and beer flights ranging from the varietal “Pinot Noirs Around the World” to the silly “Saddle Up and Sip.”
- Firehouse Wine Bar & Shop: Website | Facebook | (251) 421-2022
- Location: 216 St Francis St, Mobile, AL, 36602
- Hours: Tuesday-Thursday 3-11PM | Friday-Saturday 3PM-12AM | Sunday 2-9PM
2. Need to make a late night Target run? Stop by Domke Market’s wine bar first.
The female-owned and operated Domke Market has won several Nappie Awards for the best wine and gourmet market and is home to the only wine club in Mobile.
Owner Brooke Goff says she and her staff pride themselves on “being the unpretentious place to learn about and enjoy wine,” and has worked hard to cultivate an environment that is both casual, friendly, and welcomes all.
In addition to the plethora of wine, beer, small plates and charcuterie boards, visitors can look forward to tasting events, dinners, and the occasional guest chef.
Domke Market also doubles as a one-stop gift shop, where you can turn any combination of their boutique wines, gourmet goods, and unique gifts into gift baskets.
- Domke Market: Website | Facebook | (251) 287-1851
- Location: 720 Schillinger Rd S #8, Mobile, AL, 36695
- Hours: Monday-Wednesday 11AM-8PM | Thursday-Friday 11AM-9PM | Saturday 10AM-6PM
3. Red or White is the perfect wine bar in Mobile to try something new
Mary Buschmann Frayer, general manager of Red or White, says customers will always find great customer service and unique labels at their value-driven establishment.
“A lot of our shoppers come here specifically because they’re not sure what they want and a lot of the times they want to try something new, they get in a rut and they drink the same thing over and over again.“Mary Buschmann Frayer, General Manager of Red or White Mobile
Located in the Old Dauphin Way Historic District, Red or White Mobile finds unique wines at affordable prices to help its customers experiment more.
With the tasty combination of their original menu, wonderful wine, and awesome ambiance, Red or White Mobile is a must-see!
- Red or White Mobile: Website | Facebook | (251) 478-9494
- Location: 1104 Dauphin St, Mobile, AL, 36604
- Hours: Monday (retail only) 10:30AM-5:30PM | Tuesday-Thursday 10:30AM-8:30PM | Friday-Saturday 10:30AM-9:30PM
4. Pour Baby wine bar is perfect for those in the West Mobile area.
Feeling fancy? Pour Baby, winner of several Nappie Awards, is the perfect stop for a classy date night with fine wine and beautiful gourmet dishes.
Located in the West Mobile area for four years now, Pour Baby offers more than 50 wines by the glass and 150 wines by the bottle. Pour Baby also offers an ample selection of beers and premium liquors.
Stop by during happy hour from Tuesday-Friday at 4-6PM to enjoy $1 off beer and $2 off wine.
- Pour Baby: Website | Facebook | (251) 343-3555
- Location: 6808 Airport Blvd, Mobile, AL, 36608
- Hours: Tuesday-Saturday 4-10PM
Which wine bar in Mobile will you take a sip of first? Let us know by tagging us during your visit @thebamabuzz