It’s National Mom and Pop Business Owners Day! Are you looking to support local mom-and-pop shops but not sure where to find them in Mobile? Keep reading!
1. Food Pak International Foods
Food Pak International is a beloved, locally owned shop located right on Old Shell Road. Not only is there a wide variety of spices, wines and sauces to choose from, but the establishment also has a lunch deli with what locals call the best hummus in the Mobile area.
If you’re a fan of Mediterranean or Middle Eastern cuisine, or just looking for a giant bottle of soy sauce, Food Pak is a must-visit.
- Where: 5150 Old Shell Rd. Mobile, AL, 36608
- Hours: Monday-Saturday 10:00AM-6:30PM | Closed Sunday
- Contact: (251) 341-1497
2. Blankenship’s Universal Supply
What’s not to love about a locally owned hardware supply shop. Blankenship’s Universal Supply Co. has all your home-owner needs from paint to keys to everything you may need for your next DIY project.
In addition to traditional hardware store goods, Blankenship’s Universal Supply Co. carries things like cleaning supplies, dog collars and more to make your experience the best it can be.
The best part? They have furry friends right there in the store for you to visit!
- Where: 1305 Springhill Ave. Mobile, AL, 36604
- Hours: Monday-Saturday 7:30AM-5PM, Closed Sunday
- Contact: (251) 433-3635
- Website | Facebook
3. Cammie’s Old Dutch Ice Cream
With more than 40 flavors to choose from, Cammie’s Old Dutch Ice Cream Shoppe is one of the best ice cream stores you can find. What’s even better? The ice cream is made right here in Mobile.
The establishment has been locally owned and operated since 1969.
- Where: 2511 Old Shell Rd. Mobile, AL, 36607
- Hours: Sunday 1-9PM | Tuesday-Saturday 12-9PM | Closed Monday
- Contact: (251) 471-1710
- Website | Facebook
4. Pop’s Midtown
Looking for an assortment of plants and flowers to start your garden in the spring? Searching for fresh produce in the summer? Trying to find the best carving pumpkin for your Halloween jack-o’-latern? Maybe you want the perfect, fresh Christmas tree. Whatever you’re searching for, Pop’s Midtown is a seasonal shop with everything you could want (as long as it’s in season).
One of the best things about Pop’s? They have a year-round Mardi Gras section so you can celebrate no matter what time of year it is in the holiday’s birthplace.
- Where: 2103 Airport Blvd. Mobile, AL, 36606
- Hours: Sunday 11AM-4PM | Wednesday-Friday 9AM-5:30AM | Saturday 9AM-5PM | Closed Monday and Tuesday
- Contact: (251) 308-8441
- Website | Facebook | Instagram
5. Al’s 5 & 10
Al’s 5 & 10 is a great stop for everything you might need. Looking for plants? Al’s 5 & 10 has you covered. Sprucing up your aquarium? Stop at Al’s 5 & 10. Al’s 5 & 10 is another seasonal store with the decor, craft supplies and gifts that you need.
Locally owned and operated, Al’s 5 & 10 is a personal favorite of ours here at The Bama Buzz. Be sure to check it out!
- Where: 4358 Old Shell Rd. Mobile, AL, 36608
- Hours: Sunday 12-5PM | Monday-Saturday 8:30AM-6PM
- Contact: (251) 343-6703
Want more of the local Mobile scoop? We’ve got you covered:
- Have a spare $1M? The Kate Shepard House Bed & Breakfast in Mobile can be yours
- Meet Guncles Gluten Free Bakery in Mobile + 3 other local bakeries to shop from
- Spring Hill College in Mobile gets an exclusive beer
Want more like this in your inbox daily? Make sure you subscribe to our newsletter & keep up with us on social media.
You must be logged in to post a comment.