Reviewed by: Nathan Watson
It’s no secret that Mobile is growing by leaps and bounds—after all, it was just named the second fastest-growing port city in the whole nation. In the annual State of the City and County event on January 17, Mayor Sandy Stimpson gave an update on some of the projects underway in the downtown area that will continue to fuel that growth.
Mobile’s State of the City + major projects in the works
Each year, Mobile’s State of the City and County event brings together hundreds of community leaders to hear directly from city officials on the latest in the Port City. This year was an exciting one:
“It’s hard to imagine anyone leaving today’s event and not feeling excited about the direction our community is heading. Mobile County has seen many positive developments over the last year, and more are on the horizon.”Mobile Mayor Sandy Stimpson
Mayor Stimpson stressed the importance of several new developments coming to life in the downtown area in 2024. Those projects include:
- Mobile International Airport
- I-10 Mobile River Bridge
- Hall of Fame Courtyard
- St. Louis Street Rebuild
- Mobile Civic Center redevelopment
In addition, Mayor Stimpson highlighted several outdoor and recreation projects, such as the Three Mile Creek Greenway Trail developments, Langan Lake dredging, Langan Park and Public Safety Memorial Park renovations and more. Significant road improvements will also be taking place in 2024.
Visiting Mobile in 2024? Here are some guides to the Port City
I visited Mobile for the first time last year, and I found out what all the hype is about. If you’ve never visited or are looking to take a trip back to the Port City, here are some of our favorite places to check out:
- Here are five beautiful walking trails in Mobile to get moving + see the beautiful natural environment.
- These sandwich spots are the perfect lunch stops.
- Our ten favorite brunch spots + cafes have all the cozy, local vibes you could want. Looking for breakfast? We’ve got you covered there, too.
- These six activities around the city are all budget-friendly.
- These five burger joints + sushi spots are great dinner options.
- Check out these these three museums to learn about art, history + even carnivals.
Want updates like this delivered straight to your inbox? Sign up for our newsletter today.