Tuscaloosa has a lot to offer this May. Concerts and art festivals are coming back, and I couldn’t be more excited. From a drag pageant to a chocolate charity fundraiser, Tuscaloosa’s diverse events are essential to the city’s culture. Here are some events we can’t wait to attend in Tuscaloosa this May.
1. First Friday Art Walk
First Friday is a downtown Tuscaloosa tradition. Friday, May 7th promises to be an especially lively First Friday. Studios and local artists put their best feet forward in this celebration presented by the Arts Council of Tuscaloosa. Participating studios on the art walk include the Dinah Washington Cultural Arts Center, Lorrie Lane Studio, the Paul Jones Museum and the Art Garage.
- When: Friday, May 7th 5-8 PM
- Where: Downtown Tuscaloosa
- Contact: 205.758.5195 | Facebook | Instagram
2. Tour de Chocolat
Tuscaloosa’s Family Counseling Services hosts a chocolate-themed fundraiser every spring. This year, they’re selling a “passport” that gives you access to a tour of the best chocolate in West Alabama. When you show your passport at any participating restaurants or bakeries, you will be able to taste their chocolate entry. The fundraiser is also a contest, and passport holders can choose their favorite chocolate in categories like presentation and traditional desserts.
- When: The whole month of May!
- Where: Participating chocolate shops in West Alabama, including River, Southern Ale House, Side by Side and more!
- Contact: 205.752.2504 | Facebook | Instagram
3. Druid City Arts Festival
Druid City Arts Festival has grown each year since it began 12 years ago. This year promises to be the biggest Druid City Arts Festival yet—in fact, they’ve added a second day of food, art and music! Local artists take over Government Plaza in the heart of downtown to showcase their unique work during the festival. The Druid City Arts Festival will be the perfect way to soak up the sun and appreciate art.
- When: Friday, May 14th 5-10 PM & Saturday, May 15th 10 AM-5 PM
- Where: Government Plaza
- Contact: 205.391.9200 | Facebook | Twitter
4. Miss Druid City Pride Pageant
The Miss Druid City Pride Pageant is an upbeat celebration of Tuscaloosa’s LGBTQ community. The event is hosted by Icon Tuscaloosa, one of my favorite dance spots in the city. It’s going to be an unforgettable night with contestants competing in categories like “Welcome to T-Town,” evening gown and talent. I’m sure the dance floor at Icon will be especially festive during the pageant, so even audience members can strut their stuff. There’s a $10 cover at the door, but it’ll be worth every penny.
- When: Saturday, May 15th at 9 PM
- Where: Icon Tuscaloosa
- Contact: 205.345.3820 | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
5. The Buzz About the Bees
The University of Alabama’s Museum of Natural History is flying into the summer with their Buzz About the Bees exhibit. It features a live honey bee hive (enclosed, of course!) and plenty of facts about the importance of bees. This ongoing event is a perfect pit stop on a walk through campus.
- When: All month–The Buzz About the Bees is the Alabama Museum of Natural History’s newest permanent exhibit!
- Where: Alabama Museum of Natural History
- Contact: 205.348.7550 | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
For more great spots around T-Town, check out https://thebamabuzz.com/7-outdoor-dining-spots-in-tuscaloosa-including-rama-jamas/.
You must be logged in to post a comment.