If you’ve been in Mobile for approximately 24 hours, especially this time of year, chances are you’ve been rained on. In fact, at the time of writing this, it’s an absolute downpour outside.
Mobile is actually the rainiest city in the country, averaging two full months of rainy days every year. While the rain can be relaxing and nap-inducing, it can put a real damper on your previously outdoor plans. Fret no more, because we’ve compiled a list of six things you can do when the weather threatens your itinerary.
1. Learn something new at a local bookstore
The Haunted Book Shop
A woman-owned cozy little bookshop right in downtown Mobile. They’ve got a lovely and knowledgeable staff, which includes Mr. Bingley, the cute little grey shop cat.
- Address: 109 Dauphin St, Mobile, AL 36602
- Hours: Mon, Tues, Thurs, Sun: 11AM-6PM | Fri. & Sat: 11AM-8PM | Closed Wed.
- Contact: (251) 348-7668 | Website | Facebook
Page & Palette
This awesome little 3-in-1 book store, coffee shop and bar will keep you out of the rain and entertained all day long.
- Address: 32 S Section St, Fairhope, AL 36532
- Hours: Mon.-Fri: 7:30AM-5PM | Sat: 8:30AM-5PM | Sun: 10AM-4PM
- Contact: (251) 928-5295 | Website | Facebook
Because what bibliophile doesn’t love a tiny shop filled with floor-to-ceiling books?
- Address: 15 S Section St, Fairhope, AL 36532
- Hours: Mon.-Sat: 9AM-5PM | Closed Sun.
- Contact: (251) 928-3664 | Facebook
2. Curl up with a cup of coffee in a quaint cafe
Yellowhammer Coffee is a Mobile classic. You can’t go wrong with their great coffee and good vibes.
- Address: 3249 Dauphin St, Mobile, AL 36606 | 7750 Moffett Rd, Mobile, AL 36618
- Hours: Mon.-Sat: 6AM-7PM | Closed Sun.
- Contact: (251) 402-0717 | Website | Facebook
The Coffee Loft
If you’re looking for a delightful place to stop and grab a bite to eat and a coffee while in Fairhope, The Coffee Loft is your place.
- Address: 503 N Section St, Fairhope, AL 36532
- Hours: Mon.-Fri: 5:30AM-7PM | Sat: 6AM-7PM | Sun: 6:30AM-7PM
- Contact: (251) 929-2299 | Facebook
Serda’s Coffee Company
The rain can’t ruin your day in downtown Mobile when you pop on into Serda’s Coffee Co.
- Address: 3 S Royal St, Mobile, AL 36602
- Hours: Mon.-Fri: 6AM-8PM | Sat. & Sun: 7AM-8PM
- Contact: (251) 415-3000 | Website | Facebook
Kind Cafe Fairhope
You’ll take kindly to this Fairhope coffee classic.
- Address: 108 N Section St Unit A4, Fairhope, AL 36532
- Hours: Mon: 6AM-12:30PM | Tues.-Fri: 6AM-4PM | Sat. & Sun: 7AM-4PM
- Contact: (251) 288-5766 | Website | Facebook
3. Take shelter from the storm in a museum
University of South Alabama Archaeology Museum
That’s right, the University of South Alabama has its own museum, right on campus. Go visit and peruse local artifacts, some dug by South Alabama students.
- Address: 6050 USA S Dr, Mobile, AL 36688
- Hours: Tues.-Fri: 10AM-4PM | Closed Sat.-Mon.
- Contact: (251) 460-6106 | Website | Facebook
Mobile Medical Museum
Who doesn’t love the weird and macabre history of medicine? Take a rainy afternoon to learn all about how healthcare has made its leaps and bounds to where we are today.
- Address: 1664 SpringHill Ave, Mobile, AL 36604
- Hours: Tues, Wed, Fri: 10AM-4PM | Fri: 10AM-6PM | Closed Sat.-Mon.
- Contact: (251) 415-1109 | Website | Facebook
Hank Aaron Childhood Home and Museum
Hank Aaron is a Mobile native who went on to play over 20 seasons of Major League Baseball. Visit his childhood home and museum to learn all about what made Hank so special.
- Address: 755 Bolling Brothers Blvd, Mobile, AL 36606
- Hours: Mon-Fri: 10AM-4PM | Closed Sat. & Sun.
- Contact: (251) 572-2327 | Website | Facebook
Fairhope Museum of History
An adorable and quaint museum that tells the story of Fairhope, perfect for escaping an afternoon pop-up shower.
- Address: 24 N Section St, Fairhope, AL 36532
- Hours: Mon.-Fri: 9AM-5PM | Closed Sat. & Sun.
- Contact: (251) 929-1471 | Website | Facebook
4. Find your new favorite old thing at an antique mall
Florida Street Vintage
Colorful, groovy and full of little treasures, Florida Street Vintage is the perfect spot to wander around and wait for the storm to pass. You might even find a vintage treasure for yourself while you’re at it.
- Address: 156 S Florida St, Mobile, AL 36606
- Hours: Tues.-Fri: 11AM-5PM | Sat: 12-5PM | Closed Sun. & Mon.
- Contact: (251) 648-1361 | Facebook
Yellow House Antiques & Interiors
Vintage furniture, as far as the eye can see. That’s what makes Yellow House Antiques & Interiors such a lovely place to explore on a rainy day.
- Address: 1902 Government St, Mobile, AL 36606
- Hours: Tues.-Sat: 10AM-4PM | Closed Sun. & Mon.
- Contact: (251) 476-7382 | Website | Facebook
Cool name? Check. Imported European vintage? Check. In the heart of downtown Fairhope? Check.
- Address: 315 De La Mare Ave # A, Fairhope, AL 36532
- Hours: Mon.-Sat: 10AM-5PM | Closed Sun.
- Contact: (251) 928-0902 | Website | Facebook
5. Do something artistic & creative
Fill your own candle jars at The Bay Candle in Fairhope
If you’ve ever wished that your candles seamlessly blended in with your decor, save your dandelions and head on over to The Bay Candle in Fairhope. They can pour any candle into any container, whether you buy one from them or bring in one yourself.
- Address: 19440 Scenic Hwy 98, Fairhope, AL 36532
- Hours: Mon.-Sat: 10AM-5PM | Closed Sun.
- Contact: (251) 928-5882 | Facebook
Paint Party Studios
Sometimes the best way to beat those gloomy feelings on a likewise gloomy day is to get creative. Paint Party Studios has a few different locations around Mobile & Baldwin Counties where you can paint pre-sketched canvases, make bracelets and more.
- Address: 101 S OWA Blvd, Foley, AL 36535 | There are a few more locations around Mobile & Baldwin counties, check their website to find the location nearest you
- Hours: Every day: 11AM-6PM
- Contact: (251) 343-2423 | Website | Facebook
6. Indulge in something hearty
The Sunflower Cafe
Grab a healthy bite to eat and hang out in the cafe, on either side of the bay.
- Address: 320 Eastern Shore Shopping Center, Fairhope, AL 36532 | 3055 Dauphin St, Mobile, AL 36606
- Hours: Every day: 10:30AM-2:30PM | Every day 10:30AM-3PM
- Contact: (251) 929-0055 | Website | Facebook
Bay Breeze Cafe
A classic cafe experience with a huge menu and a great atmosphere.
- Address: 50 S Church St STE D, Fairhope, AL 36532
- Hours: Tues. & Wed: 11AM-3PM | Thurs.-Sat: 7:30AM-9PM | Closed Sun. & Mon.
- Contact: (251) 990-0294 | Facebook
Dew Drop Inn
Visit Mobile’s oldest restaurant and fill up on some Southern comfort food.
- Address: 1808 Old Shell Rd, Mobile, AL 36607
- Hours: Mon.-Sat: 10AM-3PM | Closed Sun.
- Contact: (251) 473-7872 | Facebook
Looking for more to do in Mobile? Check out our latest:
- Meet Guncles Gluten Free Bakery in Mobile + 3 other local bakeries to shop from
- Feel the luck of the Irish at these 7 St. Patty’s Day celebrations around Mobile
- Spring Hill College in Mobile gets an exclusive beer