The most highly-anticipated holiday in Alabama is approaching—the Iron Bowl. The iconic football game may be in Tuscaloosa this season, but the energy will be just as high in the city of Auburn (especially with new interim head coach Cadillac William’s recent wins still fresh in our minds). Here’s how Auburn has been prepping for game day and where you’ll find all the Auburn fans on Saturday, November 26.
A brief Iron Bowl rundown
Famously known as the biggest rivalry in college football, the Iron Bowl has been a cornerstone of sports in Alabama since 1893. Did you know the name for the classic rivalry dates back to when the Auburn vs Alabama game took place in Birmingham—the iron and steel center of Alabama? Last year, the Tigers barely lost to the Crimson Tide in the fourth overtime. What are your predictions for this year?
The Auburn-Alabama campus food drive rivalry
Auburn’s and Alabama’s campuses have been collecting food and monetary donations since September 30. (Beat Bama Food Drive / Facebook)
The Auburn-Alabama rivalry isn’t all cutthroat—every year, the two campuses partner with the Food Banks of West and East Alabama in a a student-led effort to fight food insecurity. This year, Auburn’s Beat Bama Food Drive raised a record-breaking total of 550,117 pounds of food for community members in need. Together, the schools raised 1,116,100 pounds of food (that’s almost double the total last year!)
Downtown Auburn watch parties
College students will crowd the downtown bars on game day (Elizabeth Hobbs / The Bama Buzz)
Not going to be in Tuscaloosa for the game? We don’t blame you. Make your own watch party in Auburn—we put together a list of all the game day hot spots.
You’ll catch most locals cheering on the Tigers during the Iron Bowl from a spot in downtown Auburn—we”ll be ready to roll Toomer’s Corner if we snag a win. Grab your crew for a watch party at one of these iconic bars and check their socials for Iron Bowl specials.
- 1716 Bar | 156 E Magnolia Ave, Auburn, AL 36830
- Auburn Draft House | 161 E Magnolia Ave, Auburn, AL 36830
- The Avondale Bar and Tap Room | 106 N College St, Auburn, AL 36830
- Skybar Café | 136 W Magnolia Ave, Auburn, AL 36830
- Southeastern Bar | 108 W Magnolia Ave, Auburn, AL 36830
- The Wittel Rooftop Bar | 205 S Gay St, Auburn, AL 36830
- Halftime Sports Bar | 156 N College St, Auburn, AL 36830
What’s better than food and football in the South? (Elizabeth Hobbs / The Bama Buzz) (Tavern on the Traxs / Facebook)
Not into the bar scene? Here are classic restaurants in downtown you can get your grub on while cheering on Auburn.
- Hamilton’s on Magnolia | 174 E Magnolia Ave, Auburn, AL 36830
- LiveOaks | 201 N College St, Auburn, AL 36830
- Moe’s Original BBQ | 125 E Magnolia Ave, Auburn, AL 36830
- Taco Mama | 140 E Magnolia Ave, Auburn, AL 36830
- Tavern On the Traxs | 307 N College St, Auburn, AL 36830
- The Hound | 124 Tichenor Ave, Auburn, AL 36830
We have some honorable mentions if you want to watch the Tigers from a less busy part of town.
- Baumhower’s Victory Grille | 2353 Bent Creek Rd, Auburn, AL 36830
- Moe’s Original BBQ | 2319 Bent Creek Road Suite #100, Auburn, AL 36830
- Niffer’s Place | 1151 Opelika Rd, Auburn, AL 36830
Embrace the Auburn spirit by participating in all the classic Auburn traditions, like getting Toomer’s lemonade and some new Auburn gear from the J&M Bookstore. Don’t forget to say “War Eagle” to all the Auburn fans you pass by and be prepared to (hopefully) roll Toomer’s by the end of the night.
Game time info
- When: Saturday, November 26 | 2:30PM
- Location: Bryant-Denny Stadium | Tuscaloosa, AL
- Where to watch: CBS
Where are you watching the Iron Bowl? Tag us on social @thebamabuzz and let us know! War Eagle!
You must be logged in to post a comment.