Reviewed by: Sharron Swain
It can be hard to make lasting New Year’s resolutions in Alabama. After all, we’re in the land of Huntsville’s Peach Cobbler Factories, delicious Montgomery bakeries, Mobile’s iconic Cheese Cottage and more. So, how can we make resolutions and stick with them? Our friends at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama are weighing in on how to be our best selves in 2022.
1. Get outside—take advantage of Alabama’s gorgeous green spaces
No matter where you are in the state, you’re bound to be near some beautiful parks and greenery. Take advantage of our wonderfully mild Alabama winters and get out in the fresh air.
A few spots to check out across the state:
- Birmingham: Ruffner Mountain
- Florence: Deibert Park
- Hanceville: Veteran’s Park
- Huntsville: McMillian Park
- Mobile: Langan Park
- Moundville: Moundville Archaeological Park
- Tuscaloosa: The Riverwalk
2. Make healthy eating easy with your New Year’s resolutions in Alabama
If you’re anything like me, a New Year’s resolution has to be sustainable to be realistic, and Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama agrees. Luckily, we have lots of places across the state ready to help us eat well and feel our best. Whether you choose fresh steamed seafood in Mobile or vegan bakeries in Birmingham, you can’t go wrong.
Don’t miss these restaurants serving healthy, delicious food:
- Birmingham: Real and Rosemary
- Huntsville: Heaven’s Healthy Kitchen
- Mobile: Foy Superfoods
- Montgomery: Healthwise Foods
- Tuscaloosa: Manna Grocery & Deli
3. Find community at a local fitness studio
I’m a girl who loves efficiency, and will never say no to killing two birds with one stone. Nowadays, fitness studios are popping up everywhere. They’re a great way to get your sweat on while making friends who will keep you accountable.
Having someone to cheer you on (or call you out if you skip a workout) is a great way to stick with a resolution to exercise more. Bonus? Most studios offer a promotion for first-timers.
Here are some of our (many) favorites across Alabama:
4. Volunteer in your community
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama is no stranger to supporting local orgs that need our help. For this year’s resolution, consider volunteering your time. Whether you can commit to once a month or once a week, anything helps.
Here are some statewide resources to get you started:
- Birmingham: United Way of Central Alabama
- Florence: Room in the Inn Shoals
- Montgomery: Montgomery Habitat for Humanity
- Mobile: American Red Cross—South Alabama Chapter
- Tuscaloosa: Big Brothers Big Sisters of West Alabama
5. Read more—support local book stores
We all could stand to read a little more. Why not make a resolution of one book per month in 2022? You could become an expert on 12 fascinating topics!
Learn new things while supporting local at these bookstores:
- Birmingham: Church Street Coffee & Books
- Decatur: Brown Books and More
- Fairhope: Page and Palette
- Huntsville: Bookshelf
- Montgomery: Read Herring