Southern Living, the widely-read lifestyle magazine based in Birmingham, has announced their list of fifteen charming Alabama towns. Keep reading to discover which of these idyllic close-knit towns we love.
Most Charming Alabama towns
Southern Living has curated a list of what they believe are some of the most charming small towns in Alabama—see if your hometown is listed!
- Bayou la Batre
- Fort Payne
- Magnolia Springs
- Muscle Shoals
- Orange Beach
- Gulf Shores
- Dauphin Island
In no particular order, these five particularly have a special place in our hearts. Keep reading to find out what to do and where to eat in each town.
As the sister town to Auburn—AKA the loveliest village—Opelika has captured the hearts of Southern Living from its unique bakeries to the stunning murals. For the small-town foodie, you’ll love the wide variety of local restaurants serving up Southern classics such as the buttermilk pancakes from Zazu Gastropub.
- WHAT TO DO: Shop at Tiger Town or grab a craft beer at Resting Pulse Brewing Co.
- WHERE TO EAT: Mandarin House | Zazu Gastropub | Chuck’s BBQ
If you’re looking for one of the most picturesque Alabama towns, then Fairhope should be your next stop. Southern Living appreciates the beauty of impressive Fairhope’s flora, including the streets lined with live oaks draped in Spanish moss to bright.
This isn’t the first time Southern Living has recognized Fairhope for its beauty. Earlier this year, Fairhope ranked third best small Alabama town.
- WHAT TO DO: Golf at the Lakewood Club or stroll down Fairhope Municipal Pier.
- WHERE TO EAT: Red or White | The Wash House | Gambino’s
3. Fort Payne
Play me some mountain music at Fort Payne. Formerly known as Alabama’s sock capital, Fort Payne is home to Little River Canyon National Preserve and DeSoto State Park, some of the hiking spots in Bama!
- WHAT TO DO: Camp at Desoto State Park or the Depot Museum.
- WHAT TO EAT: Fazoli’s | Fontana’s
The adventures you’ll make at Lake Guntersville is reason enough to classify this town as charming. Guntersville is number seven for its miles of shoreline and walkable downtown with multiple places to shop.
Guntersville was also named the best lake town in Alabama for the food, the ziplining and the fishing.
- WHAT TO DO: Zipline at the Screaming Eagle or swim in the lake!
- WHERE TO EAT: Old Town Stockhouse | Rock House Eatery | Cafe 336
To no one’s surprise, the small haven that’s Mentone made it to the most charming Alabama towns list. This cozy town makes for the perfect weekend getaway, just rent a comfortable Airbnb and grab a bite at one of their many Southern comfort food restaurants.
- WHAT TO DO: Visit The Farm at Windy Hill or horseback riding at Holly Springs.
- WHERE TO EAT: The Mad Hatter Cafe | Tip Top Bake Shop | Elevation Bistro + Catering Co.
Do you agree with this ranking of the most charming Alabama towns? Let us know by tagging us @BhamNow.
You must be logged in to post a comment.