Reviewed by: Nathan Watson
It’s been a big year, Alabama. Announcements were made and ground was broken on many new developments throughout the state. Let’s do a recap on some of the largest projects we’ll see brought to life in the coming years.
Education developments in Alabama
From high schools to community colleges to large universities, many exciting developments are coming to Alabama’s education institutions.
- In August, Alex City broke ground on the new $97M Benjamin Russell High School.
- Samford University announced the largest capital project on campus in the history of the university—a new Campus Recreation, Wellness and Athletic Complex.
- Wallace State Community College announced $49M in investments, which will go toward the new STEM Gateway Building and more.
- A new $34M STEM building is coming to Marion Military Institute.
- The University of Alabama announced a $96M tech building coming to campus, targeting a 2026 completion.
- In October, the University of Alabama broke ground on the new Smith Family Center for the Performing Arts.
- Enterprise State Community College broke ground on a $30M, 600-seat performing arts center.
- A $200M medical school building is coming to the University of South Alabama.
- In October, Orange Beach approved a $46M high school athletic complex.
Manufacturing developments in Alabama
Bringing thousands of jobs to Alabama, new developments in manufacturing will fuel the state’s economy for years to come.
- Tuskegee is getting a new $43M glove manufacturing operation, bringing 292 new jobs.
- The nation’s first Miele manufacturing plant is coming to Opelika.
- In July, building permits were issued for the new $1.1B Smucker’s plant coming to Jefferson County.
- A $232M microreactor assembly plant will bring 250 jobs to Gadsden.
- Hyundai Motor Manufacturing Alabama (HMMA) announced in August they’re making a $290M investment in their Montgomery plant.
Entertainment, recreation + hotel developments in Alabama
Throughout the state, 2023 brought plans for new ways to experience some of Alabama’s most treasured cities and towns.
- Two huge developments are underway in Millbrook—The Fields at 17 Springs and Grandview Plaza.
- In September, the City of Gulf Shores unveiled the master plan for Coastal Gateway Park, which will include a new school, community park, fire station + more.
- It was announced in October that Margaritaville is coming to Gulf Shores.
- A high-end, full-service resort is expected to open in Gulf Shores in 2025.
- OWA is getting a new $50M tropical-inspired resort hotel.
- In December, Mobile announced a $100M entertainment + hospitality development called River Walk Plaza.
- In September, Sports Illustrated announced Tuscaloosa as the first location for its new college town resort concept.
- Graduate Hotels is developing a new hotel in Auburn, and it’s going to have a Bo Jackson-inspired coffee shop and bar inside.
- Popstroke, partnered with Tiger Woods, is coming to Tuscaloosa.
- In March, OWA Parks & Resort announced a $70M expansion of Tropic Falls.
- In March, Mobile released the Brookley by the Bay waterfront park master plan.
Want updates like this delivered straight to your inbox? Sign up for our newsletter today.